Request for US Inka/Colorado/Turkis/Taiga owners

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm toying with the idea of temporarily wrapping a few of my body panels vinyl, approximate factory colors that I am considering. I feel that I can get a fairly close match to solids like Inka. Taiga will undoubtedly be tough, but it still gives me the opportunity to stare at some green samples. Depending on the state of my rockers, I just might completely wrap my car. Cost should be about $400. It's an expensive test but it's cheaper than spending thousands of dollars on a paint job that I'm not thrilled about. I can still work on the floors, engine, and interior without messing with the rest of the body. That will keep me busy for quite some time.

Here are my samples so far. What I would like to do is have you PM me your address so I may mail some samples to you. Alternatively, Paypal you $10 so you can order the samples yourself (if you don't want to give me your address). Once you have the samples, lay them on the hood etc. and snap a pic. Ideally under different light conditions. Email them back to me and I'll update this thread.

Below are the samples that I have ordered thus far. There are a multitude of orange colors offered by 3M, Avery, etc. I have a 12" 'Turkis' sample also, but it looks too dark.
23962488500_a8b2178c9d_b.jpg

3M Burnt Orange:
attachment.php

3M Gloss Bright Orange:
3M-Bright-Orange-1080-G54-car-wrap-Melbourne.jpg

Avery Gloss Light Green Pearlescent. This one seem pretty off depending on the light, but it a good "do I like green" test:
Photo-Apr-17-2-27-35-AM.jpg

Last edited:

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Good plan! I would like to try that on the E24 cracked dash.

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
What color should I wrap my Coupe? Ive been tempted to do another color. Sahara isn't my favorite surprisingly.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Honestly if I had good paint I would regularly wrap my E9 each color in the book. Did you read the pink mini 'unwrapping' post on the CL? The paint was pristine after years of teenager use.

One problem is that the E9 doesn't have breaks in the body panels. The vinyl is only 5' wide, which won't cover the hood surround. There will need to be some seams. The good news is that with the belt line trim, the sides should be pretty easy. I'll start with the sides. Should be fun! It's quiet, so I can apply while the kiddos are sleeping.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you thinking of wrapping the whole car yourself Markos? Something tells me it's not as easy as one might think...

Honolulu

Reaction score
I'm all ears on this one... I have a '90 325i with faded paint and clear coat. I've seen a car or three being wrapped at various trade shows, usually as a demo for the guys who reproduce our engineering drawings. They branch out a bit, but it's still graphics work. The process doesn't look difficult if you're patient, have a squeegee or two and a heat gun. Check! got all that.

I haven't looked into the colors available, but something that approximated the light blue of the 3er would be great. Thinking also to consider two-tone, or accent lines... and now someone is ahead of me.

Years ago I backed up uncautiously and broke my cast aluminum gas filler cover in half. Unsurprisingly there's no reasonable way to put it back together. I got another but the color didn't match my Baikal. A local vinyl shop and gave me samples sufficient so that my filler door is now done up in something like the three BMW Motorsport colors. Colors have survived for years, but you have to think ahead when you come to a panel joint and wrap the vinyl well around it with minimum stress or the memory will make it want to peel back. Must be right, after all those years someone noticed it correctly.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are you thinking of wrapping the whole car yourself Markos? Something tells me it's not as easy as one might think...

The main goal is to do a few sides just to see some colors, show them to my wife, etc. If my rockers are in decent shape, I will wrap the whole car. I need to work on a few rust areas first. I have a problem area on the windshield frame and one near the CS badge. I plan to take the car down to bare metal, but I wouldn't mind wrapping it and driving it for a year or two before diving in.

Here is the thread for the green Porsche. You can wrap a car yourself. It's not hard, but it is time consuming.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...834518-going-green-my-vinyl-wrap-project.html

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Update: I sent about five oranges to a west coast member, and three greens to an east coast member. I'm betting that there will be a close match on the orange, and the green will be pretty far off base. I haven't heard from any Turkis owners but it's unlikely that I'll test out this color. I'll still ship some samples to a Turkis owner if anyone is curious. They are only $1 each.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Send a Turkis sample to the BMW museum. I am sure they will be very helpful...

I'd rather just have me send the Turkis my way. I'll mail it back after I check the paint color in all light conditions.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Damn! I just read through that whole 911 thread... The result is pretty spectacular.

This is making me think about the possibilities of vinyl wrap in a whole other way. Could change the color of your car every couple of years... Really interesting.

This is a legitimate trade, with solid results that last years. It's a great way to protect your paint also. It cost about $3,000 to have it done professionally, and it's quite common in supercars.

As mentioned, the e9 has challenges. The lack of panel gaps guarantees at least a few small seams.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Many thanks to one of our members who owns a beautiful Taiga. Light Green Pearlescent is too light and Matte Green Apple Metallic is too dark (and matte). i think I like the dark green better but I also prefer gloss. Hmm!

Orange is en route to another member and I'm ordering the Taiga for another member this weekend.

24399757366_5a23fc3e56_b.jpg

24399762636_0c29e2b1da_b.jpg

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
What about door jambs, underside of hood & trunk lid, engine bay getting under the windshield gasket, etc? With the level of disassembly and if you count each hour as $50, he might have been better off pulling the glass and getting a professional respray.

But for people who want to play around with colors, seems like an idea solution.

Stan, you could try adding diagonal M-sport stripes to compliment your new motor

John

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
What about door jambs, underside of hood & trunk lid, engine bay getting under the windshield gasket, etc? With the level of disassembly and if you count each hour as $50, he might have been better off pulling the glass and getting a professional respray.

But for people who want to play around with colors, seems like an idea solution.

Stan, you could try adding diagonal M-sport stripes to compliment your new motor

John

You typically do the door jams and visible gaps. It is meant to be temporary. It also helps to have really good pain with no blemishes (ahem...).