Request for US Inka/Colorado/Turkis/Taiga owners

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd wrap mine but in the UK when I came to take it off there would be nothing there.

The line about early Subarus was that in 70s they were made by applying a layer of paint on cardboard, then in the 80s they realized they could remove the cardboard.

gary bellamy

Reaction score
Re Wrap

I am not wrapping my whole car, just doing the the interior trim bits on my E39
in 3M Di-Noc carbon fibre. Marcos I will be watching to see how yours turns out.

Gary

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey BMachine,

I get them from www.metrorestyling.com. As of this week, I am now a dealer :) This means I can get the vinyl at a discount. If you PM me your address I can send you some samples. Let me know what colors your are interested in. If you are trying to match a factory color let's try four of five samples from the various vinyl suppliers (3M, Avery, etc.)

The Orange samples have arrived! I think it's a tossup between Avery and Oracal. I think the Avery vinyl is a bit better quality, but the Oracal is pretty close in color.

Hi Markos - see attached. Who knew there would be so many different shades of orange?! I think Avery Dennison's SW900-370-O (lower right in the first picture) is the closest for all sun angles. What do you think?
24440109302_c1d87abbfd_b.jpg

24548417245_13081004a9_b.jpg

24522225466_c6fb65c9f7_b.jpg

24252870160_e7c07f4246_b.jpg

23921614293_b513f262ac_b.jpg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think the oracal looks very good, the avery does too ... for us looking at a computer screen it could e different than up close and personal.

how's the turkis test going? very interested in seeing that one

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
how's the turkis test going? very interested in seeing that one

I finally ordered some Turkis tests and sent them to Peter. I think this color is going to be a bit of a stretch, but we'll know in about a week.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I finally ordered some Turkis tests and sent them to Peter. I think this color is going to be a bit of a stretch, but we'll know in about a week.
sitting here with some popcorn + wine waiting to see how it comes out.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is really interesting Markos. I ordered few samples from Metrorestyling last week as well.

I am not trying to match a factory color. But rather trying to match the distorted Turkis that we always see the e9 at the BMW museum in. It is a Turkis car but the white balance that most cameras create while shooting that car with the specific lights they use in the museum make it look like a color that is halfway between Turkis and Fjord.

To me, that is the appeal of this wrap system. Being able to try new colors that don't really exist in the factory color book.

BTW, I measured the hood this weekend and it looks like a 5ft wide piece will cover it without any problem. The only challenge I could see was the roof that blends seamlessly down into the A and D pillars. In order to cover that with one 5ft wide piece, you would have to "bend" the wrap down the two pillars so you can reach the natural crease at their bottom.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
BTW, I measured the hood this weekend and it looks like a 5ft wide piece will cover it without any problem. The only challenge I could see was the roof that blends seamlessly down into the A and D pillars. In order to cover that with one 5ft wide piece, you would have to "bend" the wrap down the two pillars so you can reach the natural crease at their bottom.

D pillar? :D

Yeah the hood will be one of the easier parts. The roof and A/C pillars can be all one piece and terminate at the natural crease as you mention. The car is over 5' wide from fender top to fender top, and the nose is over 5' long also. So that means that the top and back of the car require two 5.5' sheets, about ~2.75' wide. There will be a small seam at the cowl, and a small seam above and below the front roundel. The rear can be done with a single sheet. I haven't put that much head space into the front of the car by the grill etc. What I do know is that there are also no breaks there, so some seams will be required, but difficult to see. You could wrap a whole sheet around the front and the fender sides, but that would be super hard do manage.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I go a sample of 3M 1080 Series G356 1080 Gloss Atomic Teal.

It looks an awful lot like what I remember Turkis being.

Of course, putting a sample against the real thing always ends up looking quite different but did you happen to get that particular sample Peter?

peterkaczynski

Reaction score

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Peter! I think that Gloss Atomic Teal is the best compromise, but it is still way off (as suspected). We can't win'em all!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter, these are very interesting tests. Thank you for doing those.

Could I ask you a favor? It looks like these were taken with two very different light sources at the same time: A window that lets daylight in and an incandescent light which is much warmer in color temperature.

If you have the opportunity, would it be possible to retake them with all artificial lights turned off? So only daylight would reach that area. Then if you could take a simple sheet of white paper and fold it in half or quarter and lay it next to the other color swatches to have a pure white reference. This would make color judging much easier.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
All of my projects are on hold right now so no wrapping for me. I'll gladly send Gloss Atomic Teal to anyone with a drivable Turkis. Thanks for the efforts Peter! I just got done with pushing duty on my E9 and they are heavier than they look. Wheel dollies help a lot!