Request for US Inka/Colorado/Turkis/Taiga owners

peterkaczynski

Reaction score
i have a 2002 that was inka but the po painted over it in black, the black is peeling i can get some inka sample photos aswell

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excellent Peter! This is really helpful .

It goes to show, once again, that color matching is a very difficult thing to do. And there are millions of variations within each color palette.

Lots more green in that Turkis than I thought for sure.

Thank you.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have a 2002 that was inka but the po painted over it in black, the black is peeling i can get some inka sample photos aswell

Sure I'll send you some. It will be good to get a second set of comparisons. I have your address.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well I'm not doing this anytime soon. Buying a parts car removed all tinker time with the project car long ago...

Guess how I know this car is wrapped?

9277635330_0cf00a56e8_b.jpg

Belt Line Wrinkles... Also - the Alpina striping is hand painted. Not a lot of folks to do that these days...
9277629116_86066803a6_b.jpg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is not a wrap.
My car (also painted) has a few of the same wrinkles around the trim.View attachment 26171

Ahh. Certainly not trying to nitpick (my car will
never look that nice). I was hoping it was a wrap. :( I've never seen wrinkles like that before. Perhaps the trim went on too soon on your cars.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm toying with the idea of temporarily wrapping a few of my body panels vinyl, approximate factory colors that I am considering. I feel that I can get a fairly close match to solids like Inka. Taiga will undoubtedly be tough, but it still gives me the opportunity to stare at some green samples. Depending on the state of my rockers, I just might completely wrap my car. Cost should be about $400. It's an expensive test but it's cheaper than spending thousands of dollars on a paint job that I'm not thrilled about. I can still work on the floors, engine, and interior without messing with the rest of the body. That will keep me busy for quite some time.

Here are my samples so far. What I would like to do is have you PM me your address so I may mail some samples to you. Alternatively, Paypal you $10 so you can order the samples yourself (if you don't want to give me your address). Once you have the samples, lay them on the hood etc. and snap a pic. Ideally under different light conditions. Email them back to me and I'll update this thread.

Below are the samples that I have ordered thus far. There are a multitude of orange colors offered by 3M, Avery, etc. I have a 12" 'Turkis' sample also, but it looks too dark.
23962488500_a8b2178c9d_b.jpg

3M Burnt Orange:
attachment.php

3M Gloss Bright Orange:
3M-Bright-Orange-1080-G54-car-wrap-Melbourne.jpg

Avery Gloss Light Green Pearlescent. This one seem pretty off depending on the light, but it a good "do I like green" test:
Photo-Apr-17-2-27-35-AM.jpg

$400 to wrap a car I assume is the cost for materials only? Prices around here are in the couple of thousand for a full wrap.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
$400 to wrap a car I assume is the cost for materials only? Prices around here are in the couple of thousand for a full wrap.

Oh yes materials only. It's around $2k-$3K to have it done in Seattle. One cheap way to do it is to look on Craigslist. You figure that you have all of these technicians getting paid under $20/hr to do this work, but they are the experts. Unlike painting, you don't need special equipment. So you can find techs that do this on the side or want to start their own business who will do it for a good rate.

Since I started this thread I have wrapped a few things. Now they were much more intricate than a car, and I didn't use heat and water. I have to say though, it wasn't easy. I think the slab side of a door would be pretty straight forward. I haven't abandoned the idea, the timing just isn't right.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
...Since I started this thread I have wrapped a few things. Now they were much more intricate than a car, and I didn't use heat and water...

How much to wrap a mother-in-law? An intricate one.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it's the classic trim installed too soon without spacers syndrome. My friend's verona has similar.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Here's why it looks like a wrap to me....look on top of the side trim on the left. I see a "paint" line there, like the car was painted with the trim still on.

Looks like a nice car and validates for me how nice a wrap can look.

wrap.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i completely agree with Steve. this is from 1. pulling the belt trim too tight and 2. not using the shims between the belt trim + body ... LaJolla sells the shims.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's why it looks like a wrap to me....look on top of the side trim on the left. I see a "paint" line there, like the car was painted with the trim still on.

Looks like a nice car and validates for me how nice a wrap can look.

View attachment 26178

I agree. I am going back to my original conclusion. It is a wrap, and you can clearly see the vinyl overlapping the trim on the door.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Hello again. The E30 I was thinking of wrapping is now gone.. got $1200 more for it than I paid, six years ago. And it had 189,000 miles too. Methinks E30s are now where the money is...

But I still ponder wrapping and wanted to suggest that the emphasis here (and I had it too) should NOT be to match the "correct" color, or maybe not even to get close. Wrapping can provide a relatively low cost way to do part or all of a car in colors the factory for whatever reason, didn't. It's your car and your imagination, and its removable. That's cheaper than getting married, and more easily rethinkable. Two tones, stripes...

And there are all manner of YouTube videos and discussions online about tools, tips, timing and techniques. Shouldn't be too hard for a thinking, hands-on kinda guy or girl to get decent results.