Reverse/backup light question

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Quick question on backup/reverse lghts - mine only seem to come on if the light switch is in position 1 or 2. They dont activate if light switch is off. Is that just my car or do others have that same issue? Thanks for your help
Ivor

MMercury

Reaction score
Quick question on backup/reverse lghts - mine only seem to come on if the light switch is in position 1 or 2. They dont activate if light switch is off. Is that just my car or do others have that same issue? Thanks for your help
Ivor

Lay response for a quick question. I have never encountered this issue before on an E9 or E3 model.

Even without consulting a wiring diagram, we do know that both the headlamps and the backup lights require engagement of the ignition switch (key on) for the headlights and backup lights to function. This being a common link, and considering (in your case) the backup lights only work when the headlight switch is also engaged, the headlight switch is obviously completing a circuit for the backup lights. First guess is therefore a grounding issue that might require examining all backup light grounds.

hth

p_102.jpg

Skiver

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks mmercury
Will check grounding again for reverse light. Seemed ok when i installed a 3rd brake light...