Reaction score
Didn't sell. Owner would accept £95k according to auctioneers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Is there a huge price difference between a RHD Csl without a sunroof
Than
With a sunroof ???

I suspect the reason it didn't sell was because of the aftermarket (?) sunroof. I'm no expert, however , don't believe there were any RHD CSL's with factory sunroofs ( or LHD for that matter ? ) .Simon

Boobouna

Reaction score
Are there anymore pictures? The website has two, no pics of interior or the money shots.

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I actually do wonder how a sunroof could be installed on a CSL without some major reinforcement. CSL's have a thinner grade, flimsy roof metal and you can even push softly down on the roof and it flexes. I could not imagine how a sunroof with regular opening and closing wouldn't cause problems or ripples to the surrounding roof metal. (Although I assume the 2 CSLs with factory installed sunroofs would probably have been done/reinforced properly by Karman or BMW)

If the CSL pictured has a period correct well installed and reinforced fold-back vinyl sunroof I don't think it would detract from the value. I have seen such vinyl roofs on E-Types and even old Porsches and they can look very good. albeit apparently a bit prone to leaking.

Last edited:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Gazz, this looks like some sort of "rag top" thing ?....

Yes it is so it won't be one of the factory cars, which can be verified from serial #s.
A CSL with a "sunroof" is currently being converted back to original in Brisbane. The restorer checked with the factory and that's when he found out about the two factory sunroof cars. They were reinforced much like the standard cars are. My CSi has a CSL roof and it definitely would not support a sunroof. Suffice to say I won't be parking behind the goal posts at footy games.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Yes it is so it won't be one of the factory cars, which can be verified from serial #s.
A CSL with a "sunroof" is currently being converted back to original in Brisbane. The restorer checked with the factory and that's when he found out about the two factory sunroof cars. They were reinforced much like the standard cars are. My CSi has a CSL roof and it definitely would not support a sunroof. Suffice to say I won't be parking behind the goal posts at footy games.

ok Gazz, I'll bite ...how did your csi end up with a csl roof ? Simon

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm....weeellll. The car I bought was originally a factory sunroof CS which the previous owner decided was going to be a targa car so he removed the sunroof and welded in a panel. It looked pretty good at the time but when I had the car sandblasted for a full body rebuild all was revealed. With nearly an inch of body filler removed the roof was a mess. It was heat distorted to the point that the body guys said I needed a new roof. They simply couldn't repair it. Now normally that would be a disaster but by a miracle Bill Rama at IDB in Melbourne had a roof which was from a CSL wreck. I would really have preferred the thicker metal CS roof but under the circumstances I had to say yes. I mean - what are the odds? The serendipity continued when, visiting bill to check the roof, I spotted a perfect boot lid just standing in the shop. I also needed one of these as mine was badly repaired, also revealed by sandblasting. Bill is a great guy by the way.
So there you have it. My car is not some factory special CSL roofed rarity.

1800ti

Reaction score
Are there anymore pictures? The website has two, no pics of interior or the money shots.

No more pictures available. I travelled to look at it. The story is it was restored by two Jaymic employees some time ago but although I'm no expert it looked like a lot of work just to recommission it. Usual rust, doors not shutting properly and very little documented history. I decided to walk away from this one.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I saw this car before the auction, too much investment, work needed to bring it up to a good useable daily driver...For me

I took the advice of my body worker , mechanic and did not bid....rumour has it ...it was sold after the auction...