SFBay: 1974 3.0 CS - $80K

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This one slipped past my radar for two weeks. Apologies in advance if this is a repost.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/6158992781.html

00M0M_kgYvAtUnS5r_600x450.jpg

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had a PPI done on this car. In summary - a nice E9 but it has many deviations from stock. These include a non-standard paint color and an E30 sunroof. PM me for me details if you are considering the car.

VIN: 4310374

Last sold in 2013 for $110k:

http://www.rmsothebys.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1057833

Notes on the car (Don L. saw the car in person):

• The sunroof is an E30 sunroof which was retrofitted. It deviates from original and the car takes a hit as a result.

• Sunroof modification has taken height away from the interior and therefore is very tight for anyone over 6 feet tall.

• 5 switches in the center console. This is related to the sunroof and while functional it also has a negative impact to buyers at this price range.

• Area around VIN tag is different than in 2013 (rubber pad missing) and raises questions about what’s hiding under the black paint. This is a common rust area on these cars and suggests there may be something hiding there. It’s possible it was done to hide the original paint color or that there is surface rust there.

• Incorrect square weave carpet used. The carpet is nice and clean but deviates from original.

• Wear on driver’s seat is more than would be expected on a car at this price range (see comp below)

• Holes on the right side of the center console. This was evident in the photos so nothing new here but it will cost $$ to fix.

• Paint is not perfect and color is not a stock color for the E9.

• Satellite pod on dash is a problem, not easy to remove / fix.

• Camshaft- for a gentlemans coupe a 300 duration cam is a lot. Maybe too much.

• Integrating this with a 179 ecu is really tough.

• Engine is an 88 M30B35 - not the most desirable version to use due to older bottom end, 9:1 compression, etc.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great info!!! A lot of those issues wouldn't be noteworthy at a lower price point. If you are at the top of the CS range, I think it needs to be near mint or conservatively modified. Although I think the paint should be a factory color, the e30 sunroof is the major deal breaker IMO.

floridabmx

Reaction score
Usually when I hear the term restomod I cringe for those reasons. Would love to see what the sunroof looks like.

Dohn

Reaction score
As the owner of a "restomod" in black over tan, I must say I wish the market really was that strong. This car certainly has had some "interesting" decisions made in the modding process. Expensive metallic paint but unrestored seats (which looked a lot better in the Sotheby's photos), nicely integrated nav screen accompanied by an enormous wart on the dash, non-standard sunroof and sunroof controls position, claimed 250hp from a cam change in a B35?... If Sotheby's really got $110k it must have been a bidding war. I suspect the beating will be worse than the $30k loss they're asking for.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The car came out of the Don Davis collection and obviously received a royal presentation by RM. I am sure this contributed to the sale considering the car sat at Canepa listed at $70k for a long time one or two years prior.

I suspect that the owner (who has since passed) had more money than most, loved the look of the car and did not care too much about what he spent on it. Just a hunch.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I couldn't tell what was going on with the dash speaker. I've lighten the photo.
An interesting idea, it's a bit out of date these days with smart phones having Google maps at our fingertips.

Navagation behind dash speaker.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ad taken down. What was it selling for?

Whacky dash configuration. I like much more this simple attachment of a 7" tablet on the dash which can easily be removed. Don't have a pic of it currently; on my other laptop.