The professor is officially for sale 1970 2800CS

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
that is a nice looking 535is ... Robert, i think that's what you need to drive to and from the airport. then you could keep the coupe for sunny weekends

Robert A

Reaction score
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
Put the professor back to stock rims and steering wheel. Full service done at Korman's drove like a dream from Wilmington to Greensboro NC. About a 3 hours round trip.

Robert A

Reaction score
Hi all! The vintage is coming up and both the Professor and Rudy are coming to the show. I will put a sign in the window and hope to get the interest of a few persons. Just wanted to let you know that I passed the Alpina Rims to another e9 forum member. I miss having them , but prefer the original look of the car with the OE rims and Michelin WXW tires.

Robert A

Reaction score
Here are the comments that I have received from interested persons:

" I'd offer 44k. Please work with me"
"58k! Is this a concourse car?"
" I can offer 50k, but I need a pre-Inspection that can guarantee that the car is perfect"
" I like your car, but would you sell the tii in the background? I can go to 14-15k for it"
" Your asking too much! the is is a 40k car all day..."
" I purchased a 3.0 for 5k and nobody will give me a solid number for restoration. Someone said over 200k, but I think he was a crook"

These guys were all nice, but I just do not think they realize the effort to make these cars safe and presentable.

What were your best lines you received when selling a car?

dbower

Reaction score
Here are the comments that I have received from interested persons:

" I'd offer 44k. Please work with me"
"58k! Is this a concourse car?"
" I can offer 50k, but I need a pre-Inspection that can guarantee that the car is perfect"
" I like your car, but would you sell the tii in the background? I can go to 14-15k for it"
" Your asking too much! the is is a 40k car all day..."
" I purchased a 3.0 for 5k and nobody will give me a solid number for restoration. Someone said over 200k, but I think he was a crook"

These guys were all nice, but I just do not think they realize the effort to make these cars safe and presentable.

What were your best lines you received when selling a car?

"I'm going to the bank right now to get the money." (never to be seen again)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hang in there Robert ... you know you have a great coupe ... stick to your guns ... or shoot the next person who makes a ludicrous offer.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here are my answers:
" I'd offer 44k. Please work with me" - I would say no to 44K, thank you for calling, bye
"58k! Is this a concourse car?" - No a concourse car would be $104K note the black coupe that sold at R&M, thank you for calling, bye
" I can offer 50k, but I need a pre-Inspection that can guarantee that the car is perfect" Define "perfect" bye
" I like your car, but would you sell the tii in the background? I can go to 14-15k for it" My friend is a pharmacist, he can recommend drugs for your delusions, thank you for calling, bye.
" Your asking too much! the is is a 40k car all day..." Bye,
" I purchased a 3.0 for 5k and nobody will give me a solid number for restoration. Someone said over 200k, but I think he was a crook" If you purchased a CS for 5k it is likely a VIN tag and a bottle of rust. $200K might be spot on, do you plan on doing any of the work yourself, but I digress, thank you for calling, bye.

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Here are my answers:
" I'd offer 44k. Please work with me" - I would say no to 44K, thank you for calling, bye
"58k! Is this a concourse car?" - No a concourse car would be $104K note the black coupe that sold at R&M, thank you for calling, bye
" I can offer 50k, but I need a pre-Inspection that can guarantee that the car is perfect" Define "perfect" bye
" I like your car, but would you sell the tii in the background? I can go to 14-15k for it" My friend is a pharmacist, he can recommend drugs for your delusions, thank you for calling, bye.
" Your asking too much! the is is a 40k car all day..." Bye,
" I purchased a 3.0 for 5k and nobody will give me a solid number for restoration. Someone said over 200k, but I think he was a crook" If you purchased a CS for 5k it is likely a VIN tag and a bottle of rust. $200K might be spot on, do you plan on doing any of the work yourself, but I digress, thank you for calling, bye.

...you're too much of a gentleman Stan ( and Robert ) ...a simple "go forth and multiply " should suffice .

Robert A

Reaction score
I told my wife I wanted to say ' go f@#k yourself!!! She keeps me in check... I definitely married a keeper.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You may be getting all this buyer abuse beacuse you named it The Professor. Academics do not get much respect lately. Try naming it The Godfather.

jefftepper

Reaction score
Do not be discouraged by the response so far. In my estimation, the market of knowledgeable buyers for these cars is very small. Coming from the Vintage Mustang world, (where rust also plays a significant role), my experience is that wrench turning hobbyists tend to be very frugal, often searching for that unbelieveable deal and, are occasionally out of touch with the current market value of cars that need little to no further work . A high quality E9 might do better in a Pebble Beach auction in August. If that appeals to you, the son of one of my neighbors works for one of the well known auction houses that has a presence during Pebble Beach week and I would be happy to secure and pass along his contact information to you off line. If so, send me a PM.

Regards, Jeff

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You may be getting all this buyer abuse because you named it The Professor.

I would agree with that. Naming a car while you own it is your business. But once you present it as the object of a possible business transaction, unless the name has a publicly historical significance, I think it is best to stick to just the relevant facts.