The professor is officially for sale 1970 2800CS

Tim D

Reaction score
Robert graciously let me take it for a drive. I am no expert, but the car drove even better than I expected -- powerful, tight and responsive. An absolute joy. I have had some unexpected changes in my life (moving) that put a damper on my ability to pull the trigger. I hope that the car will still be available when I am ready, but I haven't spoken to Robert in a while and he was considering listing it for sale. It may even be sold now. I will say, Robert is an extremely honest seller (he pointed out everything he thought might be wrong with the car), and was very nice and patient with me. I wish him the best of luck, however this works out.

Robert A

Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks for taking the time flying from Texas just to see the car. It is safely back at home and waiting for my next drive. I put the new bottom door rubber trim in it and will like at the door adjustment, I would truly like to sell to an gar guy. Good lock with the move .

Robert A

Reaction score
Well, I still have not listed the car anywhere. It seems like 50k is the ceiling for newbies in the e9 world. I did not revise the ad, but the Nardi steering wheel and Alpina rims are no l0nger available. I'll keep the car at 59k, but will entertain serious offers. Since I put the topic on the forum, I've had the car serviced, put the Michelin XWX tires on and the original bus wheel. Added the under the door seals and had the car detailed top and bottom. Well, before the Vintage. Remember the golden rule to buy the best you can and you will save time, money, and headaches.

Robert
70 2800CS
74 2002 tii
87 325iS
13 R1200 GS

Robert A

Reaction score
Hi all, The car still has not sold. Just being patient here and enjoying weekend drives.

Eiremon

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Have you considered checking with BaT on what type of reserve they would give you? Sales of nicely done classic BMWs have been doing well there. Just make sure to get some good photos done of the car. So many of these E9's are presented with average photos which, in my view, can take away from the listings.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Robert, I thought I commented on this car but can't find what I wrote?? Anyhow, your car is way worth 58 period, if you found a really good buyer you might work with him a little. There are tons of people out there who want to beat you up on price but I can promise you very few of them have the funds. Anyone looking for a really nice e9 that is ready to drive better have between 50 and 60K in their pocket or they're just plain stupid. Keep the car listed on this site and on Hemming's and you will find a buyer sooner than later and a good buyer will ask you if there is any wiggle room and not tell you what they'll give you. I sold my Hamleta, which I spent about a year building and I was within 2000.00 of my asking price and the buyer was more than happy to pay for the car because he knew what he was getting and he had the money-

My 2 cents

Robert A

Reaction score
Peter,

Thanks for the comment. I'm still getting emails and texts from people who claim it is a 50k car. The same ones who were interested a year ago and still have not found a decent car after a year of searching. I'm not in a hurry now. A couple of times I've had chances to get a 356 so I offered to sell quick at a reduced price, but no bites. Now that I missed on those I'm back to being patient.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just revisited the photos and stick by my position. I have a friend in GA with a 356 who's looking for an e9- should I put you in touch with him?

Reactions: Gor

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I agree that the universe of people who knows what these cars are really worth is pretty small. And I think we are seeking more folks looking at our cars who don't turn their own wrenches. They cannot distinguish a solid, well maintained car from a rusty taped together money pit and so they have no mechanism to determine value.

If Peter says the car is worth it, that tells me a lot.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Are you still asking $58k?

And if so, that now does NOT include the Alpina wheels?

Interesting sales tactic.

Robert A

Reaction score
I sold the Alpina rims and the Nardi wheels to someone on this forum. The car is currently at 58k. but I reached out to BAT this morning to discuss a possible sale there.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I sold the Alpina rims and the Nardi wheels to someone on this forum. The car is currently at 58k. but I reached out to BAT this morning to discuss a possible sale there.

Honestly I think the BAT peanut gallery is going to be a more severe and public version of the annoying texts that you have received lately. If it doesn't sell on BAT you have a failed sale and permanent record of ignorant comments. I think that you need to target a private buyer that trusts the knowledge of folks like Peter. Also keep in mind that while he can attest to the quality of your car, it is the market that dictates the value. I would list it for another couple of months he then pull the ad if no buyers are biting. Stay on top of the want ads for folks that are looking for a turnkey car. Meanwhile, the market seems to be recovering a bit. Last summer was pretty depressing for sellers.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
the car is nice enough that it won't gather a ton of criticisms. I just don't think a BAT auction will garner anywhere near the asking price/reserve.

Just look at the history of E9s sold on there. None were >$40k IIRC.

Nice rig, but $58k is uber top dollar for a 2800CS. Especially w/a stock, original mile engine and four-speed. If the engine was rebuilt, or a 3.5L conversion w/EFI and w/a 5-speed, then you'll get some interest.

May take awhile. Try Hemmings, classic car auto trader. But as you say, you're not in a hurry to sell it so enjoy it during the summer w/a For Sale sign in it.

Last edited:

Robert A

Reaction score
Just got another offer for 50k. He said he had a buyer but He needed to make a commission. Isn't that crazy to get a car from someone you don't know to try to make money by negotiating a price for a car he doesn't own!!! Argh!!!!!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Money is money, regardless where it comes from; I wouldn't care.

Counter at $55k, unless you're hell bent on being firm at $58k. If that's the case, advertise it for $65k and then they can dicker you down for $58k.