The Vintage 2015 Winston-Salem NC, May 22-24

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Free beer isn't what brings me back to CCA events, it's the owners, whatever they happen to drive. Same with this Forum, well, there are at least two exceptions to that one. :razz:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lots of E9's
Lots of nice '02's
No Spaten, but I think they have pulled out of a lot of car shows
Some very nice E30s, Baurs, a couple 850s, M3's, M5s, and a few beautiful E24's
Were you at the same show I was at?

Spaten was bought out by one of the mega breweries and there direction changed. Big disappointment for everyone and for BMWCCA.
They are now calling Paulaner their sponsor beer but at Ofest last summer it was a long way from the Spaten participation.

Yes I thought the show was quite good. It does change from year to year.
I like Old Salem but others like the vineyard meets. I thinks it's fun to see what the young guys are doing.
We ran the rally on Friday and got stuck behind some slow folks who were not into the spirited drive. Finally after 30 minutes of this I passed an E28 M5 and another coupe and had to pull in. A few minutes later I was able to pass a 02 and a E28 5er and get a away from the group. After one stop sign I noticed my friend in the M5 had caught up to me and soon we caught up to a young guy and his wife in a 633.
I had talked to him earlier as he was running a heavily modified M30 motor. It had ITB's and a Haltek engine management system with coil packs. It had headers and a cam and high compression pistons and sounded pretty sweet.
I have high compression pistons, a cam and stock looking distributor with a USB plug where I can plug in the PC and change my distributor curves to what ever I want. I have triple Weber 45's as well so here are basically the same engines with modern and traditional mods to suite the owners desires.
As we continued the rally there were times when I could hear his engine and mine running close to the same RPM's. It got the harmonics going and was like a propeller plane with two engines when they are not synced correctly and your get that in and out of frequency change. Wow I was going nuts listening to that. Fun, fun, fun!!!!!

Overall great weekend.
Gary Beck
Peachtree Corners GA

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, Chris great story and nice to meet you both.
My girlfriend was with me and she really likes cars and knows quite a bit about what I am talking about.
A little apprehensive about all the "new" people and people that also know my ex.
She seemed to enjoy the event and giggles at me and the attention my car gets.
It's certainly not that nice in the body but all the engine candy brings them all looking. What a hoot!

So here are the "winners" from the weekend.
There were 10 awards given for votes by attendee's and 4 of the 10 were coupes.

L-R Wayne Killen, Gary Beck, George Whiteley, Don Bower.
The last 3 all from Georgia.
George was the overall winner and here he is with his wife Sue.

Attachments

• IMG_9535.jpg
    IMG_9535.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_9542.jpg
    IMG_9542.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 167

chicane

Reaction score
There actually was free beer in the Hawthorne Inn parking lot.
Not Spaten but some pretty good craft beer

Was it served up by a young supple Bavarian maiden? No? Point made....

MyFemurHurts

Reaction score
These young guys are the future of our hobby.

And there's not a ton of us who can be good stewards to these cars.

I don't like a lot of younger guys in the car scene, as I'm not at the show to parade my girl friend or have my ego stroked. I just ignore parts of the show I dont enjoy, and focus on the parts that I do.

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
?

Guys,

Am I missing something here?

It sounded like great gathering of E9s and their owners, thank you to everybody for the reports and pictures. Many of you had fun with each other and as Chris mentioned, its the owners and friendships created that is the wonderful part of this hobby.

Is it sad that everybody can't have an E9 - sure is - but until we live in a communist country, we have wonderful things like great memories and nostalgic emotions about things we hankered after as a youngsters. Sometimes that allows us to do as O'Neils mentioned, buy a car when they are unwanted secondhand vehicles and love and care for them on a teachers salary for decades, how cool is that?

The kids of today are our future, they buy what they can afford today, but they may see your E9 and wish they could have one, as I do a 250 SWB Ferrari. Will their E30 become like our E9, probably will for them. But some will grow and mature and maybe even become well healed and hanker after those expensive E9s they always loved and some will never get there. I am pretty sure I will never have a 250 SWB.

The market dictates prices, unless of course you would like it to done another way?

At last we are seeing E9s get the recognition we know they deserve.

But, lets not forget where we came from. Those kids who would do anything we could to make our cars better looking or more appealing to opposite sex and our friends and then as we grew we found a different part of the car hobby a much mature part and we grew into it, as we do marriage/families and relationships.

That kid in his E30 today, may let me look at his 250 SWB one day, remembering the E9 owner who was kind to him so many years before.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys,

It sounded like great gathering of E9s and their owners, thank you to everybody for the reports and pictures. Many of you had fun with each other and as Chris mentioned, its the owners and friendships created that is the wonderful part of this hobby.

Is it sad that everybody can't have an E9 - sure is - but until we live in a communist country, we have wonderful things like great memories and nostalgic emotions about things we hankered after as a youngsters. Sometimes that allows us to do as O'Neils mentioned, buy a car when they are unwanted secondhand vehicles and love and care for them on a teachers salary for decades, how cool is that?

The kids of today are our future, they buy what they can afford today, but they may see your E9 and wish they could have one, as I do a 250 SWB Ferrari. Will their E30 become like our E9, probably will for them. But some will grow and mature and maybe even become well healed and hanker after those expensive E9s they always loved and some will never get there. I am pretty sure I will never have a 250 SWB.

The market dictates prices, unless of course you would like it to done another way?

At last we are seeing E9s get the recognition we know they deserve.

But, lets not forget where we came from. Those kids who would do anything we could to make our cars better looking or more appealing to opposite sex and our friends and then as we grew we found a different part of the car hobby a much mature part and we grew into it, as we do marriage/families and relationships.

That kid in his E30 today, may let me look at his 250 SWB one day, remembering the E9 owner who was kind to him so many years before.

Very well spoken. Thanks

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Yes, Chris great story and nice to meet you both.
My girlfriend was with me and she really likes cars and knows quite a bit about what I am talking about.
A little apprehensive about all the "new" people and people that also know my ex.
She seemed to enjoy the event and giggles at me and the attention my car gets.
It's certainly not that nice in the body but all the engine candy brings them all looking. What a hoot!

So here are the "winners" from the weekend.
There were 10 awards given for votes by attendee's and 4 of the 10 were coupes.

L-R Wayne Killen, Gary Beck, George Whiteley, Don Bower.
The last 3 all from Georgia.
George was the overall winner and here he is with his wife Sue.

Actually, I thought your girlfriend had a pretty nice body. Oh wait...

chicane

Reaction score
Guys,

Yeah, you are missing my entire point. I will recap for the reading impaired:

POINT 1: NO ONE is bad mouthing the E9's they were the best collection of cars at the show
POINT 2: The complaint was about the plethora of well worn E30 and E28's that WERE NOT show quality
POINT 3: No more free beer served by Bavarian maidens

Is everyone on the same page now?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lets not be snobs ?

Chicane,

I neither know you or you me, so please be civil and cut out the snide comments.

If you look around this forum you will see most people like to be polite and decent to each other. It is actually possible to disagree in such a manor and still agree to disagree.

I politely posted my thoughts on yours, I hope I am clear that I am not and will not be "on the same page" as you explain on these pages.

For clarity.

I love the idea of youngsters coming through in the hobby, no matter what car they may have.

I feel no need to exclude people that do not have a perfect show quality car.

I do not feel most current E9 owners are "well heeled" and reiterated O'Niels story, as this would be similar to many current owners.

If you need free beer and buxom maidens as a prerequisit to be happy at a show, might I humbly suggest a different hobby?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
"Free beer and buxom maidens." I love it Pete. And no, Chicane, most of us are not on your page.
Steve

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Show quality????

I've been to all but three Vintages. And nowhere, ever, has this event presented itself as a concours event or a "car show." It was, is and, hopefully, will remain a "gathering of vintage BMWs" (see the text on every year's poster) and their owners. This process of "getting together" with like-minded enthusiasts has NOTHING to do with how well restored one's car is or how much money one has or chooses to spend on his/her vehicles. Complaining that some of the cars at the Vintage were well-worn (and, I'd add, often well-loved) totally misses the spirit of the event. As does any ridiculousness about the event declining because of the lack of free beer.

Some events are just not for everyone. Clearly the Vintage is not a good match for the complainer. Maybe stay home next year?

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
"Not Show Quality"?????

I've been to all but three Vintages. And nowhere, ever, has this event presented itself as a concours event or a "car show." It was, is and, hopefully, will remain a "gathering of vintage BMWs" (see the text on every year's poster) and their owners. This process of "getting together" with like-minded enthusiasts has NOTHING to do with how well restored one's car is or how much money one has or chooses to spend on his/her vehicles. Complaining that some of the cars at the Vintage were well-worn (and, I'd add, often well-loved) totally misses the spirit of the event. As does any ridiculousness about the event declining because of the lack of free beer.

Some events are just not for everyone. Clearly the Vintage is not a good match for the complainer. Maybe stay home next year.