trunk gasket installation questions

speed

Reaction score
Hey guys

Ordered an OEM gasket from BMW. Got it today.

Had a quick look at how to install it but I m clueless on this.

This is the lip that goes around the trunk opening

003_zps6e368233.jpg

This the opening in the gasket

005_zpsd251dca8.jpg

The gasket is loose on the lip. I guess I ll need some glue.

How do you fit that gasket there?

is there a missing part ?

do I have to remove the trunk lid to fit the gasket without cutting it cause right now it s a one piece part?

Thx again for your precious advice.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if its in one piece, can't you just loop it over the trunk lid and set it into the channel without taking the trunk lid off?

my rememberance is NOT to put adhesive on the gasket - you just press it into the channel. there is plenty of advice on this in the archives that i remember reading previously. my gasket had been replaced before i bought the car.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There is a small slit in the gasket that fits over the lip of the trunk, you need to position it correctly. Don't need to remove the trunk lid either, just lift it over the trunk and set into place. A little adhesive helps around the corners but don't do it 100%, just enough to keep it from moving, and do a section at a time.

speed

Reaction score
ok now I feel real stupid about the looping it over the trunk lid :roll:

and thanks about the small slit in the gasket. I was trying to install it the wrong way. The opening in the gasket goes facing the outside of the trunk opening

Thx again

Derry

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Or...

you can have two people hold it while you drive through it...

:)

Stefan

Reaction score
Hej Speed

Now when you know how to install the gasket correctly I suggest you to let the gasket be installed that way without gluing it. Keep it on place for a while and the rubber will possible adapt in form. Note "Newly produced rubber is not like the old thing" so I don't know how it reacts.

I'm one of the "geeky" folks that does not glue this gasket because of the original poor design that let water stays in for long time in cavities.
After a wash or rain I easily lift the gasket and letting the boot drying out.
Is it possible geeky..? :)

speed

Reaction score
thx for advices guys.

I guess there s only one way to install it. The larger side goes bottom?

I also guess it will take a while to sit in place cause right now, the trunk lid stick out of the rear fenders a bit when close

Stefan

Reaction score
thx for advices guys.

I guess there s only one way to install it. The larger side goes bottom?

I also guess it will take a while to sit in place cause right now, the trunk lid stick out of the rear fenders a bit when close
Hej Speed

? The gasket should be tight all around when it's in place and not the opposite.