Uncomfortable front seats

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did mention in another post that I drove about 225 miles to Houston and 225 miles back the other day in my e9 with the Recaros and they were very comfortable. They even lower you enough to wear a cowboy hat without hitting the roof, but I guess that depends on the hat, I am a firm believer in having a comfortable and proper seat while driving since it not only feels better but is safer and when I get out of the car I'm refreshed not exhausted. I think 40+ years ago our stock seats probably were comfortable and supporting but without a total rebuild, springs and all, they likely should be put out at the end of the driveway on bulk pick-up days like so many mauve velour Lazy-Boy loungers...

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
been a while since I read anything about "cowboy-hat" approved car seats, I think it was on Sesame Street, so that was a while ago, but perhaps I am miss-remembering. Anyway, I had my seat cushions re-stuffed some years ago . They are the stock seats and are much better that when I first bought the car, and it has bought me some time until I figure out a real comprehensive, total rebuild idea. Good thread Peter, I also wonder what others have done to make the long distance "touring" less tiring. I have wondered if it is not just the seats that are aging, but perhaps the butt sitting in them :) Mike

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have stock seats with the fronts raised, makes them very comfortable for me. They're drive cross country and back comfortable.

Seat raising nuts.JPG

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I did what Andrew did and also put a 1 or 2" thick piece of foam between the seat and the metal springs/support and it is very comfortable now.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I guess I'm the exception then and I'm 6'5" tall. If your seats haven't been rebuilt or if they were but overstuffed you are going to have issues.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i always liked my original 2002 seats, even liked the bavaria seats (but then again - that was all before i was 40. in my mid-late 40's i had recaros in my 2002, then the bmw e30 sport seats in the m3 (recaro style). but i LOVE the scheel mann 400 vintage seats - these aren't mine, but the same type

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess I was lucky, my coupe already had recaros when I bought it almost 14 years ago. A previous owner had installed them in the eighties. I thought about getting stock seats when I redid the interior but the recaros were just too comfy.
cscocomats1.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
i always liked my original 2002 seats, even liked the bavaria seats (but then again - that was all before i was 40. in my mid-late 40's i had recaros in my 2002, then the bmw e30 sport seats in the m3 (recaro style). but i LOVE the scheel mann 400 vintage seats - these aren't mine, but the same type

IMG_4841.jpg

The day I revived this thread there was a pair of these in Vancouver for $700 CAD. Great deal, didn't last long.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you think these will work and match the tan interior? How hard to install? http://m.ebay.com/itm/162427764310?_mwBanner=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott,

these are e30 sport seats, they have an integral adjustment / slider as i remember ... this would NOT be an easy install in a coupe as they would mount very high. these seats allow the seat bottom to raise / tilt as well as slide front + back. the e30 m3 or e30 convertible has horizontal pattern, which does look better.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

these are e30 sport seats, they have an integral adjustment / slider as i remember ... this would NOT be an easy install in a coupe as they would mount very high. these seats allow the seat bottom to raise / tilt as well as slide front + back. the e30 m3 or e30 convertible has horizontal pattern, which does look better.

I've never looked at the bottom of the e28/e30 recaros. I figured they were the same as VW recaros and e21 versions with the mesh/rubber seat support. These types of seats are completely flat on the bottom and get mounted to an OEM specific base. You can get them to fit in almost any car.

The e28/e30 ones apparently look like this:
d6f99e79.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Staying a little more "in the family" I've always wondered if the e36 convertible seats would fit in the coupe.

I know the width of the tracks is narrower. 50cm bolt to bolt on the coupe vs 45cm for the e36. But one could make a bracket fairly simply for that.

s-l1000.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Staying a little more "in the family" I've always wondered if the e36 convertible seats would fit in the coupe.

I know the width of the tracks is narrower. 50cm bolt to bolt on the coupe vs 45cm for the e36. But one could make a bracket fairly simply for that.

Someone stuck e36 Vader's in a CSL tribute so I'm sure it's possible. I'm talking about the car that was for sale last year with the stick on headlight wipers...

s-l500.jpg

gwittman

Reaction score
My father-in-law rode to Monterey with me one year. We were traveling with another car that had my wife and mother-in-law in it. He made the comment that he was glad to be travelling in comfort in the 2800 CS. It seems he thought the seats were comfortable and I always thought they were comfortable. They are the original seats but are very well broken in. They are so broken in I have to use sheep skins to cover up the deteriorated leather in the seating area.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i know that the e30 m3 seats had feet on them that bolted to the floor. i thought they were integral to the seat ... perhaps not. i have a bare seat in the attic. i will go look at it this weekend. i could easily be wrong

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fox Body Mustang seats are a decent match. You can get the Vinyl kit for $360 and cheap seats on CL:

u40bb1v.jpg