Vasek Polak License Plate

rblongboarder

Reaction score

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm the target demographic for that frame since I live in Manhattan Beach and grew up looking into Vasek's showroom but... $900. Seriously? And it has the wrong logo. Fortunately, @HB Chris helped me procure a Hermosa Beach Vasek BMW frame a few years ago at a fraction of that price. There's a sucker born everyday. And this will probably find one in a guy who's car looks the same as all its brethren.

rblongboarder

Reaction score
Yes.. the price on this license plate seemed beyond ridiculous...

It appears the auction has ended, but eBay does not show a final price, only the phrase "This listing was ended by the seller on Tue, Mar 26 at 7:27 PM because the item is no longer available." I've done a lot of buying & selling on eBay - that's indicative of an auction that was terminated, not won by the highest bidder.

jmackro

Reaction score
Other ebay sellers are offering Vasek Polak plate surrounds for much less, though I wonder if they are reproductions. This guy is offering them for $80, claims to have 31 available and to have sold 125 already. Either he's Vasek's long lost nephew, or they're being knocked out in 天都城

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223801984181?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200818143230&meid=4d7effb62fa0406a92e2afa4b6119a5a&pid=101224&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=335323789068&itm=223801984181&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=4429486&algv=DefaultOrganicWebV9BertRefreshRanker&_trksid=p4429486.c101224.m-1

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Other ebay sellers are offering Vasek Polak plate surrounds for much less, though I wonder if they are reproductions. This guy is offering them for $80, claims to have 31 available and to have sold 125 already. Either he's Vasek's long lost nephew, or they're being knocked out in 天都城

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223801984181?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200818143230&meid=4d7effb62fa0406a92e2afa4b6119a5a&pid=101224&rk=4&rkt=5&sd=335323789068&itm=223801984181&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=4429486&algv=DefaultOrganicWebV9BertRefreshRanker&_trksid=p4429486.c101224.m-1
from the listing:
  • Made to fit most US license plates from 1956 - current year
  • Newly manufactured; inspired by original frame

rblongboarder

Reaction score
I moved to Hermosa Beach in 1999 and became fascinated by the history of Vasek Polak - some of the buildings from his dealership were just a few blocks down the street from the house I rented with friends; in those days I was restoring BMW's from the bid 80's.. vehicles like my 1985 E24 and 1988 E28 535is.. I was oblivious to the E9 and E3 vehicles of the previous era. I was equally surprised to learn that the original Caroll Shelby motor shop is located behind the Bartel's Harley dealership on Lincoln Avenue in Marina del Rey / Venice. All of the original Polak dealership buildings have been purchased and bulldozed by the Sketcher's shoe company.

I've noticed a few details: Vasek Polak license plates have the language "Robert W. Brown, Downey, California" on the underside. From what I've read, this company was well-known for manufacturing license plate covers for many dealerships; the letters are raised and appear to be part of the casting process - they are not engraved.

Here are some more photos from my reading list:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speaking of license plate frames, Autokunst(Stephen) and I(Steve) did a run of CS license plate frames a number of years ago. Foggy memory but I think we had 75 made? And I believe we sold them at cost, about $35.00 each. Again foggy memory. It was probably Art Wegweiser, Paul's father, who did the original run. Not sure where we sourced the original for our run. Mine hangs in my garage after adorning the plates on my last coupe, then on Lilli, my recent 2002.
My plan was to mount it on my latest Bavaria's plate, but because the gas cap is covered by the hinged license plate there is no way to make it fit.

The frame appears on the back of my coupe in the article about my 12 Classic BMWs that ran in the issue before last of the BMWCCCA's magazine "The Classic."

Steve

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
As an aside question but in keeping with the theme of license plates etc, I never heard of "low numbered plates" being in demand while growing up in NY. In Ma, this is a thing and quite a thing. The RMV has sign up lists and a lottery for low numbered plates. I overheard some guy in the North End say " the only thing my caddie needs is a low numbered plate". I am just amazed at human nature.

Dowst

Reaction score
Vasek Polak was a legend, the frames are prized items, particularly with the early 911 community—who, as a general rule, are more willing to pay the price for these very neat historical pieces of CA car culture.

There are a few original styles of these VP frames, the repros are bogus and immediately recognizable if you know what to look for.

I know of a 911 enthusiast who has a collection of dozens, and dozens of these original VP frames. He would walk by the dealer and look through the glass as a youth, promised himself “someday”, but unfortunately VP closed up before that day came. Plate frames are the next best thing, I suppose, and put the car into context.

Dowst

Reaction score
In my state, “low number” plates are only available to government officials/employees. Lower the number, higher the status/role. These are generally “turned in” and recycled to next official upon retirement, etc.

Major status symbol. If you are well connected enough and have friends in “high-enough places”, you might be able to get one, but you’ll need someone with a lot of power to pull some real strings.

Anything three or less digits and only a very foolish police officer/trooper/highway patrol would be willing to pull you over for essentially any reason.

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is kind of cool. You can have any Califorina plate you want made

And you can change to "real" plate with this magnetic hook up
https://framelessmounts.com/

I saw on at a cars and coffe and they looked really great

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my state, “low number” plates are only available to government officials/employees. Lower the number, higher the status/role. These are generally “turned in” and recycled to next official upon retirement, etc.

Major status symbol. If you are well connected enough and have friends in “high-enough places”, you might be able to get one, but you’ll need someone with a lot of power to pull some real strings.

Anything three or less digits and only a very foolish police officer/trooper/highway patrol would be willing to pull you over for essentially any reason.

Hmm, China has such a similar system as well. Whenever i get driven around there by ceo's in their big limousines, speeding like crazy, they explain the same principle.

I best stick to the sort of 'power' that fits me best: Horse Power...