Velour Fabric ID Check...

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I assumed this was my original velour but can't find it listed anywhere... Anyone ever see this velour before?

IMG_6073.jpg IMG_6074.jpg IMG_6075.jpg IMG_6077.jpg

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ok, since no one has identified this fabric, does anyone know where to get the this fabric shown for the E3 and Coupes for this year?

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 3.02.08 PM.png

Philippe db

Reaction score
As far as I know the original fabrics for seats and carpets are no longer available. That IMO is also the reason why most of these cars are restored using leather in stead of cloth.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've assumed that the only thing I might find is someone with a couple yards stashed away. I really want to keep it original and velour just has a different vibe than leather- and it's so comfortable.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score

mosearch

Reaction score
Well, it does not seem to match any of the options on the document that I was given from the [email protected].
Nevertheless, I will attach it here for your convenience...maybe it can be of some use.

Attachments

• Farbkarte_Oktober_1972.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 135

ArVe

Reaction score
I have the same interior in my 1970 2800. Some day i would like to redo the seats but it seems impossible to find the original velour. I also wouldnt like to use leather.
My idea is to find velour as similar as possible, if someone knows where to get such a velour please let me know too :)

5eep1j.jpg

xgn14k.jpg

1qnz9i.jpg

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have the same interior in my 1970 2800. Some day i would like to redo the seats but it seems impossible to find the original velour. I also wouldnt like to use leather.
My idea is to find velour as similar as possible, if someone knows where to get such a velour please let me know too :)

5eep1j.jpg

xgn14k.jpg

1qnz9i.jpg
Hi ARVE;
Go on Coupeking.com upholste section. He has a nice supply of seat covers OEM.

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've discussed with Peter, no correct velour but they may have some later 5 series corded fabric. I'm holding out for velour.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would consider the first picture I posted and the later narrow cord pictures to both be velour. Coupe King "might" (per Peter) have some later 5 series cord but not sure it would be the same as the narrow cord pics above form a 2800.

corvair kid

Reaction score
I assumed this was my original velour but can't find it listed anywhere... Anyone ever see this velour before?

View attachment 26453 View attachment 26454 View attachment 26455 View attachment 26456

Seems pretty well established that this is not the original material. It looks to me a lot like the fabrics used in mid-80s Mopar and GM, particularly the lower-end Plymouths and Chevys. I suspect it was a popular (inexpensive and rugged) replacement for a lot of cars around that era; my grandfather's Volvo P1800 had a very similar cloth put in around that time to replace the original leather, and it wore extremely well for the 20+ remaining years that he had the car.

I imagine it would depend on the year, but most late-70s BMWs I've seen with cloth have a wider wale (corduroy ribbing) than the original E3 example shared by ArVe.

Wouldn't the center sections of the headrests also have been cloth? Is yours a U.S.-spec car? Cloth was standard and sometimes (rarely) seen on most Hoffman-era E3s, but even 2800s seem to have been more commonly equipped with vinyl or leather.