Vintage at Saratoga: Update

duane_sword

Reaction score
Convoy from MA/NH to Saratoga

Tom, I sent you a PM to your message folder with logistics.

Stan and myself are meeting in NH, not far from VSR.

great!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lets meet at VSR

Guys, I am going in for a pre-excursion oil and filter change and will be there at 9:00am
I have a new oil filter canister that I powder coated in orange and stenciled on the BMW logo.
Since I haven't had an oils change in a year, it is time.
Stan

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can somebody send me the itinerary? I'm trying to arrange work so that I can meet up for the drive over.
Thanks!

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Great meeting and seeing the fantastic examples of humanity...and vintage BMW's!! Plus we had fine selection of coupes in the same place.

Vbigdog, Marco, Stan, Andrew, Duane, Bill Williams, Lawrence Charlemagne, Fritz, Frank Greppo, Ron, Bill Dickey and all others I forgot to mention. The meet and greet, dinner, tour run were awesome.

In many ways, it seems that Saratoga has the chance to supplant Limerock Concours, as a premiere social event, because it includes more opportunities to connect beyond the framework of a judged show or track event.

Pics coming soon..but I'm already looking forward to whats in store for next year.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spectacular - I am going to try to plan my Vermont trip next year around this event and somehow get my coupe there, if not I for sure will attend to see the coupes and meet their owners.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Spectacular - I am going to try to plan my Vermont trip next year around this event and somehow get my coupe there, if not I for sure will attend to see the coupes and meet their owners.

Next year it will be in October to coincide with the BMW Vintage Club tour. I think Oct 12-13 2013.

Stan

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Mr. Ambassador indeed...!! Stan is, of course, replete with story after story, including how one West Coast Ambassador, flew cross-country to help him reassemble his car!! Well done Chris...

Stan's story of driving his car cross-country from CoupeKing helped inspire me to get into the game...

Stan your car is a sight to behold. The interior is fabulous and looks far better than any picture could portray. The exterior respray you had done with Mario & VSR1 looks better than anything rolling out of a showroom!! Wow!!

Given how old these cars are, we're really blessed to have the resources we have, to help us keep the camraderie and cars rolling along...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chuck,

Hope to see you in Monterey again this year. I will see Stan again next week on one of his many business trips to CA.

Chris

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all,

First, to my traveling companions, yes, I made it back! Thanks for texts, sorry if you didn't get my responses but I lose reception once I get within home range (aka: the land that time forgot)

Here is a not-so-quick recap of the weekend.
Day 1: Meh, its not TOO bad, should be able to get home.
It all started on Friday the 13th. After meeting up with Stan, Duane and Tom at VSR, we were off. The drive across NH and VT was excellent, traffic was pretty light, except within the few towns that we encountered. But, it got pretty dang hot by late morning. By the time we hit NY I was seriously considering a reinstall of the A/C components into the coupe. We were among the early arrivers gathered at the host hotel for a leisurely afternoon tour prior to dinner. >cue ominous music< It was a nice drive, until the last mile, where an overly aggressive hump in the road had me bottoming out - or more accurately - had my fenders shaving down the shoulders of the tires. It is not a confidence inspiring moment when ribbons of rubber go flying past your window!

Later that evening I found my way back to my hotel, only to be told that there was an "incident" (!) in my room and it wouldn't be available. I just wanted to shower the two hundred miles of hot, humid road off me and crawl into bed. Damn you, Friday the 13th. I went out of my way to find one of the few hotels in the area with covered parking and now they were asking me to go to another hotel! Meh, weather.com didn't say anything about rain.

Day 2: Ummm... should be able to get home?
I woke up Saturday morning to the sound of rain. Arrgh, what next? Well, not long after arriving at the Saratoga Auto Museum, I noticed a stream of fluid creeping its way along the asphalt away from my car. If I had A/C it wouldn't have seemed strange. A quick look underneath confirmed that all was not well with the cooling system. Luck was on my side for a change as it appeared that a bad hose clamp was the cause of the coolant leak. Being several hours from home, I decided to make an early exit in case any more bad luck was coming my way. Thankfully, my drive home was as nice as the one a day before. vBig thanks to Tom and his brother for all the help getting me underway.

All in all, the weekend was still an enjoyable one. If adventure is the goal, the goal was met. More importantly, I met or reconnected with a great group of people, Thanks guys! The few photos that I took can be found here:
http://s751.photobucket.com/albums/xx152/mad_kwyjibo/2012VintageSaratoga/
(if any of the photos look out of focus, its probably the distortion caused by the heat waves)

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oops, I should ad that most of the photos were taken in the first 30 min. or so after arriving (before I noticed the leak). Many more cars attended than the photos indicate. It was a great turnout!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ironic we were discussing your tire clearance issue the week prior. Glad you made it back. Whose lovely Malaga 2000CS is that?

Oops, I should ad that most of the photos were taken in the first 30 min. or so after arriving (before I noticed the leak). Many more cars attended than the photos indicate. It was a great turnout!

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hey Chris,

Unfortunately, I'm not making it to Monterey this year and will miss seeing you and the West Coast crew...but it looks like a great line-up is in the works!! Hopefully things will work out next year though!! Be sure to post plenty pic's!!

Chuck

Chuck,

Hope to see you in Monterey again this year. I will see Stan again next week on one of his many business trips to CA.

Chris

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Ironic we were discussing your tire clearance issue the week prior. Glad you made it back. Whose lovely Malaga 2000CS is that?

Actually it wasn't Malaga. I believe it was a Verona. It belongs to Elliot from Wisconsin...its a 1967 2000. Amazingly awesome...the interior is a blast. Pics will show up soon. The wood restoration was done thru Coupeking's shop.

Yup, Elliot frove from Wisconsin...