Why the switch to the hood mounted windshield washer nozzles?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, were there huge advantages to moving those elegant metal nozzles poking through the hood grille to the plastic ones on the hood? Adding all the extra plumbing thereby required?

A little further way from the windshield for better spread?

The ability to use split jets on each nozzle?

Less danger of water dripping from the nozzle pooling in the area above the firewall?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why would you ever use them?
15 years and I am not even sure if mine work

Good question.

Because I have the hood off and being repainted and I would rather go to the simpler nozzle through the grille. Not that I would ever really actually use them as in anger, mind you...

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I speciallly put them in from an old hood i like the looks of them
plus on my car they are oem
makes no since to leave them off
and they work very well
a big spread

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
I replaced my hood-mounted ones with some from an e28. Two streams each. I use them frequently, but my car doesn't get to park inside too often so it can collect a bit of dust. I almost plugged the hood holes during my paint project but chickened out because I just really like effective sprayers, I guess.

Simufly

Reaction score
I replaced my hood-mounted ones with some from an e28. Two streams each. I use them frequently, but my car doesn't get to park inside too often so it can collect a bit of dust. I almost plugged the hood holes during my paint project but chickened out because I just really like effective sprayers, I guess.[/Q
Hw did you manage to do that? the e28 nozzles are quite different from the e9 versions.

Attachments

• P1020572.JPG
    P1020572.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 93
  • P1020573.JPG
    P1020573.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 89

m73

Reaction score
How about e39 nozzles? They look much flatter than stock with a great look IMHO--probably have a performance advantage also :)

Just a thought, but that is what I would upgrade to.

-M

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How about e39 nozzles? They look much flatter than stock with a great look IMHO--probably have a performance advantage also :)

Just a thought, but that is what I would upgrade to.

-M
got a pic? no idea what they look like

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, point taken. There where little bits of plastic flying around before I was done. I ground off the snappy ear things on the e28 nozzles until the e9 nuts fit on the same way they did originally. As suggested, there may be better fitting ones from other models.

lsquaredb

Reaction score
The old blowpipes would clog up if you put hard water in the washer. I used to keep some thin wire in the toolkit for occasional rodding out of the washer pipes.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The old metal squirters don't extend through the hood grille, they get bumped easily when hood is open and must be aimed to squirt between the grille slats. In short, they are a PITA.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
wiper nozzles have nothing do with driving in the rain, its for washing the bugs off if you are driving where Stevehose drives.

i.e., mosquitos - the Louisiana state bird

Last edited:

m73

Reaction score
got a pic? no idea what they look like

Sorry for the lack of reply...bot the best forum etiquette....I know :confused:

e36 or e39 nozzles look very similar: e36 pictured ($3-15 each depending on where you buy)

I personally like the lower profile + wider stance (looks more modern)

-M

231508_x800.jpg

lloyd

Reaction score
Why would you ever use them?

If aimed properly, they make impromptu humidifiers and permit a quick parking lot hair rinse. Then there's the family's oral hygiene needs.:rolleyes:

FWIW, I have seen a 2000cs retrofitted with spray nozzles from an E10. Why? Probably because they could. On the contemporaneous E10 model, nozzles were discretely placed not on the hood. However, they are easy to bump with improvidently placed body parts, tools or parts. If it really mattered, the washing fluid plumbing could be attached directly to the wiper arms per so many cars especially with rear window wipers.

Maybe there is a lesson or two to be learned from the headlamp washer system. But - is there anything worse than water-spotted headlamps?:eek:
32565742321_0902c3264e_b.jpg

32535440762_b67707692d_b.jpg

Thread on above: http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/consolidated-notes-e3-e9-headlamp-washer-system.24406/

Last edited: