Window Lift

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
The flat wound spring for my driver front power window lift has broken (explains the slow lift speed). Searching realOEM.com, the Blue shop manuals and my mobile tradition part books does not show a part number for the spring so was probably never available as a replacement.

P1040111.jpg

Anybody have one I can buy? Suggestions on other years/models that might be substituted? Who would fabricate these today? Machine shop?

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Doug

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
$225 from La Jolla and $149 for Bavaria regulators off ebay. E12 and E3 springs should work so I'll check the euro auto wrecker/recyclers next.

There are several companies that will do custom springs so I'll check them out for cost and maybe others would be interested in new springs if they want to refresh or upgrade theirs.

Doug

jmackro

Reaction score
Whoa, don't be too hasty to replace it. I pulled the springs out of all four of my window lift mechanisms. Seems that I read somewhere (probably back when the Wegweisters were mailing out the coupe newsletter) that those springs introduce more friction than they give back in lifting force.

I understand the theory behind the springs: they store energy when you wind the windows down, and it gets released when they come back up. But in practice, I think there's too much hysteresis in the system for this to work.

I didn't notice any reduction in window lift speed without the springs. Of course, I fixed a number of things in conjunction with removing the springs - the most significant of which was to install relays near each motor, as well as a dedicated 10 gauge power lead, to eliminate the voltage drop in the console switches and wiring.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Whoa, don't be too hasty to replace it....I didn't notice any reduction in window lift speed without the springs.

Got the same comment for the same reasons from Peter (coupeking) and La Jolla. I'll clean and grease everything and report back (in April).

Doug