Would you replace the rear window during a restoration?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am definitely replacing my windshield since all the glass is off for restoration. The old one was very pitted so now is the time to do this.

But what about the rear window? It shows no obvious signs of problem although I’ve never actually tested the rear defroster. Do those of you who have done a full restoration usually replace the rear window as well?

Thank you

Bo

jmackro

Reaction score
No, I've always re-used the old glass. As you noted, the rear glass doesn't get pitted like the front one does. And while I've never looked for an e9 rear windshield, on other classic marques, the rear glass simply isn't being manufactured any more because there is so little demand.

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also have the complete glass set from Walloth arriving today if you want to examine their glass.

It is interesting for me if any of the glass from W&N is marked "BMW". If not which company is producing them.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think he/ Simon changed from all (complete car) clear glass to tinted glass....
“Having it tinted”.... is not applying a tint foil to the glass, rather green tinted glass as all US cars have. In Europe tinted glass was an extra order item.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think he/ Simon changed from all (complete car) clear glass to tinted glass....
“Having it tinted”.... is not applying a tint foil to the glass, rather green tinted glass as all US cars have. In Europe tinted glass was an extra order item.
Gotcha. That makes sense.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is interesting for me if any of the glass from W&N is marked "BMW". If not which company is producing them.
You can etch the glass to say anything you want. Scan the image, cut out a stencil on adhesive backed film, then fine media blast it (180 grit or finer). A friend just did this to mimic original factory marking on his xk120 glass . I picked up a big stone chip a couple weeks ago and will be doing same with some new glass.

FWIW, my wife has a stencil cutter, but any sign shop can make a stencil for you from a digital image.

john

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here in New England a working rear defroster is very desirable m. Easier to repair/add with the glass out.

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bo,
When I did my glass out restoration the bright work around the rear windshield was NLA. May have changed since then but if not take extra care when deinstalling.
Regards, Jon