WTB: Getrag 5 speed transmission for 3.0 cs

Bejoe16

Reaction score
I got a couple. I'll send pics when I get off work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
you might want to familiarize yourself with this tech article written by Carl Nelson on the subject.
http://www.e9coupe.com/tech/5speed.html

its a fair amount of work, its not just a simple bolt on change. i will echo the recommendation to take the coupe over to Alameda and hire the professional services of the SFDon and his team. you will get the work done correctly the first time, you will make an invaluable friend who knows coupes like few others.

restart

Reaction score
Digression .....
When I was a kid(pre radar!) learning to street race we always covered the speedo so one couldn't read it. :) if one knew how fast one was going one might get scared and slow down....

So...who needs a speedo.:)
Kidding kidding

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
out of curiosity, can't you take the stuff off of a 4 speed and put it on? i guess it has to have the internal gear.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It's a straight swap
Interesting technique for removing the shaft gear. Large hammer and medium screw driver
Opposing forces are your friend...

restart

Reaction score
Oh come on Bert, just ramp up the sales a bit:)

Not me, just came across my radar in an unrelated search.
That being said, it sounds like someone in the Phoenix area should grab that? People seem to be crazy for those.
It makes me nutty seeing all the good vintage car stuff available in the southern US.
Bit of a long shot buying a trans you can't test tho, no?

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
out of curiosity, can't you take the stuff off of a 4 speed and put it on? i guess it has to have the internal gear.
You can't use the speedo drive from a ZF in a Getrag. If you have a 4 speed Getrag, that drive will work in the 5 speed. Or so I've been told.
I bought a rebuilt 265 that didn't have the mechanical drive and got Carl at La Jolla to find the me the right stuff. Not cheap, but I didn't want to fool around.

Ian

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
As an example of how outrageous some Getrag 265 prices are getting to be, here's a simple bearing for the Getrag on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332329931304?ul_noapp=true

Bearing-for-Getrag-265-on-ebay.jpg