Monterey 2017 - East and Southern interest?

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi folks, Monterey 2016 and BMW's 100th birthday is still a wonderful buzz and I've already secured our same house rental for 2017 for my son/I and a few others. The question is my car. I feel somewhat not completely fulfilled as we could not complete the highway 1 drive and I missed the famous Carmel Concours on day 2 as a result of an alternator failure the night before.

So I want to cast a line out here for interest in assembling a truck with six E9s or various older BMWs from the east coast and southern region for next August. Passport can make multiple stops on the pickup for a nominal uncharge. The fee per car is around $3,150 round trip.

The drop might be LA or Orange County to again try and surmount the highway 1 drive; hopefully this next year will not involve coastal fires that stopped us this year?

I can assist with lodging counsel, the key challenge for anyone new to Monterey car week.

I know I'm crazy, and my wife has some not insignificant ssues with this idea, but what do you guys think?

Wayne

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Wayne, that would be cool if you could get another group together. We will try and arrange a BBQ or something for you guys this time if you hit OC as the expense of carting the coupes out and the whole Monterrey events $$$ puts a ding in anyone's pocketbook no matter who you are. We have plenty of time to arrange something. It's too bad you couldn't do highway 1. I had to rub it in a little after reading that because I heard all the horror stories (closures/delays/smoke/fires/Hearst Castle being threatened/lions, tigers, and bears) and all I thought was hmmmmmm nobody will be on Hwy 1 for once. It paid off on the way back Tues. I had the entire road to myself from Carmel to Morro Bay, just like back in the 70's as a kid. It was aweeeeeesome! It actually made the trip! So much fun...anyhow, hope the twisty HWY 1 gods are better to you next year. Remember, double yellow lines are just paint on the road meant to be driven over with precision! ;)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As I indicated earlier, I am in for a return to Monterrey (and for more of whatever Shane happens to have hidden in his jacket). I am undecided on whether to ship the car again.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As I indicated earlier, I am in for a return to Monterrey (and for more of whatever Shane happens to have hidden in his jacket). I am undecided on whether to ship the car again.

Yup and next year I might need to start packing some other things in the jacket.......stuff that is usually associated with a small little island off of Florida.....brown leaves..... if we are going to be walking around golf courses...when in Rome ya' know? I'll have to go on the hunt. I used to have a nice line on them but maybe with the country opening up a bit..... maybe they are not as hard to find anymore.

I don't usually smoke cigars, but when I do.............they've got to be DOS XX CUBANOS. LOL.....as the time get's closer I want to talk about a fun BBQ for you guys next year if you end up in OC again.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi again folks. Well, it appears official that Peter Coomaraswamy, Chris Ohmes and I will be back to Monterey in August with our trusty steeds. At the same house no less. Chris and I are now planning the trip out and drop location in SoCal. This time we want to prioritize the Highway 1 drive Monday morning, August 14, and avoid the unreal traffic we encountered last year on the 405 even at 6 am! So we are thinking of dropping somewhere near LAX but potentially staying north of Orange County, either in the Valley or as far north as Santa Barbara for Sunday evening, August 13. Chris and I would love to see the SoCal gang before we leave, as in the great dinner we had last year on Sunday evening organized by Chris Macha, but avoiding traffic is priority I think. Or maybe we organize a breakfast in Santa Barbara on Monday morning for those travelling up to Monterey that day and drive in a posse afterwards. Any interest there, SoCal gang? I know it's early for Monterey week, but I want to get our cars into the Tuesday morning Carmel Concours which is one of the best events of the week that I've somehow not known about since the 1980s when I started coming to Monterey car week.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I got a "camp site", term used loosely, at the track this year from Thu night through Sun so I'll be in town the whole time. I'm definitely going to meet some you this year!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hwy 1 will be closed at least 6-8 months if not all year, best hope is that Naciemento road will be open. It is an epic drive to the coast from Hwy 101.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hwy 1 will be closed at least 6-8 months if not all year, best hope is that Naciemento road will be open. It is an epic drive to the coast from Hwy 101.
Or you could dig out your booklet from the 2013 Targa California. Is that route parallel to 101 open? A lot of fun twisties!

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you are up for a detour, there are a bunch of twisty fun roads through the Santa Cruz mountains just north of Monterey. I try to hit those when I'm in the area.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well there's no doubt that after all the rain we've had the California roads are as beautiful as ever, even I5!!! I'm no longer in Orange County and now live in Monterey so please let me know if anyone needs any help with logistics or cocktails!

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A little of topic, but wanted to share a story about Rt9, I lived in San Jose area in the late 70's, and had to have one of the new Mazda RX7's, actually got the 3rd one imported and drove the car for a few years, wish I never sold it, oh well. Anyway, wife and I were enjoying the drive and as we pulled into Saratoga I pulled up to a stop sign, stretched and the steering wheel came off in my lap! Seems the bolt was not tightened, glad I did not stretch on the twisties! Funny now, but can honestly say wife did not think so then....