RM Sotheby's June 24 2017 Ceylon CS

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i love ceylon coupes. hate that door trim. would love to see some undercarriage photos. the drivers door front gap looks even, there is a funny reflection on the lower A pillar. the rear bumper is sitting on a strange angle (not level front to back). very odd that there aren't any pics of the passenger side. curious to see where this ends up.

Boobouna

Reaction score
Looks lovely, very similar to my car. I'm not familiar with the US market but that price guide looks a bit low. Keen to see the final price on this one. Same year and colour as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottd

Reaction score
i love ceylon coupes. hate that door trim. would love to see some undercarriage photos. the drivers door front gap looks even, there is a funny reflection on the lower A pillar. the rear bumper is sitting on a strange angle (not level front to back). very odd that there aren't any pics of the passenger side. curious to see where this ends up.

Nice looking survivor, although I wonder if it has had some rust repair on the lower area on drivers side. Purely speculating, but agree something perhaps going on there.

Scott

Boobouna

Reaction score
Sold for $30,800. Sounds like a very good buy on a two owner car. Not sure what the condition of the car was in the flesh, but the final price seems on the low side.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I bought this car. Luckily there were only two other guys that were Intrested in the car. The bid started at 10 and within seconds went up to 25 and then it was me and one other guy whom I had talked to earlier. I had hover around the car several times and didn't find anyone that said much .... the car was not available for inspection the day before the auction like they had advertised... That might have helped the situation. On Friday I was very disappointed as the car was not there , and waited until the last minute and checked at the auction counter several times to see if the car was cheeked in. Each time I asked they looked up thier system and telling me "nope so sorry" finally as I was leaving at about 7 pm closing time I see at the corner of my eyes an CS Coupe had same color as the catalog, I said it had to be it!! but was parked out side the area with the public cars!!!! it wasn't there when I had come to get a snack from the car I was driving ... I walked toward it and touched the hook and it was apparent that it was just brought In ... I gave it a quick look but was afraid that since the car was parked outside may be the owner has changed his mind about selling it. (By the way if the seller decides to pull the car they usually have to pay a stiff penalty as per terms of normal auction co contract). So I didnt open any doors but gave it a very good look. Next day the doors open at 9 and auction started at 10. It gave me plenty of time to look over the car. It is a solid car. One of the most rust free cars I have seen in 4 years of my search, looking closely at over twenty of them. The Ex-owner , a very nice man, an 86 year old pharmacist who claimed he was the second owner. He is California resident for most of his life he said and bought the car in 88 a year after the engine was fully rebuilt. The car has always been a California car. When he sold his house a year ago and moved to his condo he lost all his papers. (What a bummer) The engine has a 79 year head on it and original Zenith carbs. When I asked did you ever thought about changing to Webber carbs. He said I had no reason to .. car always ran fine... He said "I always wanted it original".... I asked are you a member or do you belong to E9coupe forum ? He said: " what is that?" ....
The seller has just paid big money to have the Carburators to be sent to San Fran for full rebuilt, and tune up at N&w German Auto, a garage in west LA which primarily works on older German cars, and has done all the service work on this car ever since the seller stopped using Coupe king. Several years ago when he said , he used to take the car in to Coupe king for tune up and other service. He took their advice and paid them to repair the rust and rust proof the rest of the car. It has AC, but with a freon leak. Everything works, rear bumper has a slight damage and bracket needs to be worked on. It has very nice old respary with good shine. Dash is perfect , wood is all original in an very good/excellent shape for its age, and no de-lamination noticed! Floors are solid with slight surface rust , trunk is solid with slight surface rust around the edges. It drives nice and steers very well. The car is currently back to N&w Garage for fine tuning the Carburators. After that I will manage to hopefully drive it 1400 miles to Oklahoma . I like the car a lot . Ceylon is not my favorite color but it is definitely growing on me. I see myself 1)fixing the AC as one of the first thing I would do and 2)Bumper
3) couple of paintless dent repairs 4) cleaning the Window regulators to free them up a bit. And drive and drive and drive and drive and drive and then ........more driving .
More to come on this later...
Cheers Guys!

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Cool car; hopefully it's just the rear bumper bracket that needs fixing/changing.

Also that body side moulding; hopefully it's just glued on and not drilled through!

Seems like 90% of the E9s in the USA are from CA!

Boobouna

Reaction score
Wow that's cool. I agree that Ceylon will grow on you. Before I bought mine they had a Ceylon car on display and a Tundra one out back. I immediately went for the Tundra and had no interest in the Ceylon as I thought the colour was ridiculous. After the deal fell through on the Tundra they pushed me towards the Ceylon which I refused flat out. A week later I called them up and said I wanted to check out the Ceylon car. From that day it started growing on me. I went back a week after that to see the car again to make sure everything was as good as I remembered. After seeing it again I knew it was the one. It definitely grows on you!!
Your car sounds exactly like mine. Sounds and looks like you have picked up an excellent car for the money. Well done!!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
way to go Tony ... well bought, glad it found a great steward to keep it going.
Thank you Rsporsche ! I am excited to get it home and work on few things ...
I appreciate all that I am learning from you folks. The support I get here at this forum makes it so much more fun!!
Cheers!
Tony P.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow that's cool. I agree that Ceylon will grow on you. Before I bought mine they had a Ceylon car on display and a Tundra one out back. I immediately went for the Tundra and had no interest in the Ceylon as I thought the colour was ridiculous. After the deal fell through on the Tundra they pushed me towards the Ceylon which I refused flat out. A week later I called them up and said I wanted to check out the Ceylon car. From that day it started growing on me. I went back a week after that to see the car again to make sure everything was as good as I remembered. After seeing it again I knew it was the one. It definitely grows on you!!
Your car sounds exactly like mine. Sounds and looks like you have picked up an excellent car for the money. Well done!!

Thank you so much! I am very excited. In the few days in California that I had opportunity to drive it and take it back to its life time mechanic and have it fine tuned. Each time I checked and checked more of the car and it is even better than how it originally impressed me. My wife and I flew home and just got back to Edmond Oklahoma. And I can't wait to get the car here.
You are right! That color has something special about it that no other color has.. at first it seems as an odd color, but all you need to do spend sometime with it and you notice this color is very upbeat and warm!!!
I will keep posting picture on it each step of the way as I am sorting few things out!!
Cheers!
Tony P.