FS - Clamshell Tool Box

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
In very nice overall condition; the plastic is crack free and has not been repainted, although the corners—like in many examples—are damaged. The thin white foam is a bit dingy but can be sourced, and the foam tool insert is intact and in good condition. Chrome screw in excellent shape.

I saw a repainted one sell on ebay for about $160 last month, so I'm thinking $125 + shipping. Thanks for looking!
IMG_2428.JPG
IMG_2427.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the interest! Tool box sold quickly. I've responded to everyone via PM in the order they contacted me...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of plastic the "clam shells" are made of? I just received two damaged clam shells from a gracious forum member - one with a pretty decent cover shell, and the other with a pretty decent back piece. But I need to do a little bit of "plastic welding" and am hoping to get the right chemical adhesive to effectively bond the plastic. In the end I should end up with a decent tool shell, and potentially a second one if I can work some magic.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's definitely doable. My restored one was repaird with some type of plastic or epoxy. Then the whole thing was painted, probably with SEM. I can snap pics of the repairs if you want but I'll have to dig the thing out of storage.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can snap pics of the repairs if you want but I'll have to dig the thing out of storage.
Thanks Mark - I'd love to see it, but no need to dig it out of storage. I was first imagining using a solvent based glue similar to what one would use on, say, polystyrene plastic. The glue chemically melts the pieces together to become one. But I'm not sure the clam shell plastic has that type of chemistry. But if a good epoxy adheres it well, I think I'll be able to work with that. I've had some surprisingly good results using JB Weld or similar. I also have a strategy in mind to replicate the texture of the outer clam shell if I need to fill in a small area.

Did you ever read the package of JB Weld? I love the stories: "A farmer in Ohio repaired his hoe with JB Weld.". My wife and I make our own text whenever we use it: "A car nut in Wisconsin repaired his clam shell with JB Weld."

Reactions: dp

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thinking about it more... Since I have one decent top and one decent back - and subsequently one lousy top and one lousy back, I can try some structural repairs on the lousy back and see how that goes. I think I'll try to document it and post (sorry for hijacking this post, by the way). ;)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not that online photos are a reliable metric, but as I look at SEM's warm gray and storm gray, it sure looks like warm gray is the better match. But I'll get both and include that as part of my study. :)

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
To answer the above question, the material of the original toolbox is likely a styrene type, such as ABS. That tends to get brittle over the years, and surprise surprise, it does. As we all know.
If you scrape a bit off with a knife or burn it, it smells very distinct; its the sharp styrene smell that your nose picks up. The smell is similar to burning regular polystyrene, as used for throw away / party dishes and cutlery ( at least here in Europe that's used, I guess in the US too)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not that online photos are a reliable metric, but as I look at SEM's warm gray and storm gray, it sure looks like warm gray is the better match. But I'll get both and include that as part of my study. :)

Neither is perfect but Storm is a bit closer.