5 spd transmissions

Bavman

Reaction score
Hello

I have several 5 spd transmissions. No 265's right now...I am planning to road test and use some of the earlier 1983-4 Getrags. I know they have a bad reputation, is it warranted? How much use do these get anyway. A road tested unit would be a great option for someone who just needs a 5 spd as a selling point for their car...

Road tested Trans $600 plus shipping from NC 27305

In interested please email me at [email protected]

Thanks

Al Taylor

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eventually I would love a five speed. Approximately how much does it cost to install and what other parts are necessary?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Eventually I would love a five speed. Approximately how much does it cost to install and what other parts are necessary?
Scott,
I suggest you call 2 places in CA that regularly do 5spd conversions on E9's (LaJolla and Coupe King) and ask for a ballpark quote with and without them supplying the transmission. Then pick one and when you take a trip to CA, just book an appt with one of them. Bet they can finish the job in 1-day. Either shop has the expertise, parts to do this in their sleep. It will be the opposite of your restoration project (it'll be simple, painless, quick).

I think you'll get more useful info than from the peanut gallery here.

tmason

Reaction score
That was a very nice write up. I wish I had this info when I did my conversion!!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,
I suggest you call 2 places in CA that regularly do 5spd conversions on E9's (LaJolla and Coupe King) and ask for a ballpark quote with and without them supplying the transmission. Then pick one and when you take a trip to CA, just book an appt with one of them. Bet they can finish the job in 1-day. Either shop has the expertise, parts to do this in their sleep. It will be the opposite of your restoration project (it'll be simple, painless, quick).

I think you'll get more useful info than from the peanut gallery here.
I emailed Carl. Will report back. If I could do it for ~$3k all in, it would be worth it, sort of. Any more, not so much.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, you mean it is going to cost over $3K? or not worth it
I am doing this, the tran was about 900 + shipping, I bought the mounting kit from CK
I have to have the drive shaft fixed anyway so I don't know if I should count that 500 or 600
but less than 2K either way
Not counting any labor, and my car is a manual
But I am not sure it is worth it

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did you reseal the tranny? That’s 2 gaskets and 3 seals.
Will you resurface the flywheel?
You realize you need a different slave cylinder?
New pilot bearing?
Different throw out bearing?
Did you get the 5speed shift platform, the shift rod, the blocks, the shifter?
New guibo?
New Center bearing?
New reverse switch?
Fresh nylocks?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mark, you mean it is going to cost over $3K? or not worth it
I am doing this, the tran was about 900 + shipping, I bought the mounting kit from CK
I have to have the drive shaft fixed anyway so I don't know if I should count that 500 or 600
but less than 2K either way
Not counting any labor, and my car is a manual
But I am not sure it is worth it

Your situation (and mine) need not apply. Scott doesn't change light bulbs let alone swap transmissions. I have zero intentions of spending $3K on my setup either, and that is with a resealed dogleg. I'm not a CEO of a successful startup and I have more time, experience, and motivation to get my hands dirty. I highly doubt that Carl would even consider swapping in a used G260 only to deal with speedometer issues after the fact. So yeah, I am LOL'ing at an extremely optimistic and uninformed $3K figure. The full service estimates that I have seen floating around the forum are closer to $5K+.

Sorry to hijack @Bavman. I'll continue to throw references your way because you have an abundance of inventory and your prices are always super fair!

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Your situation (and mine) need not apply. Scott doesn't change light bulbs let alone swap transmissions. I have zero intentions of spending $3K on my setup either, and that is with a resealed dogleg. I'm not a CEO of a successful startup and I have more time, experience, and motivation to get my hands dirty. I highly doubt that Carl would even consider swapping in a used G260 only to deal with speedometer issues after the fact. So yeah, I am LOL'ing at an extremely optimistic and uninformed $3K figure. The full service estimates that I have seen floating around the forum are closer to $5K+.

Sorry to hijack @Bavman. I'll continue to throw references your way because you have an abundance of inventory and your prices are always super fair!

Appreciate the commentary. While I will take issue with the lightbulb part, as on occasion I change a lightbulb in my house and have on an occasion changed a fuse in my BMW, your point is well taken. If the only consideration is the speedometer alterations necessary that is not a big deal in my opinion. I can deal with that by looking at my GPS on my iPhone for the time being. If it truly could be done for approximately $3000 all and it would be worth it but not a penny more just based upon how much I think it would mean to me. Thanks for making me smile tonight. It was a long day and worth it. I can’t wait till my car is done. By the way, the folks at Carl Nelson shop are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Appreciate the commentary. While I will take issue with the lightbulb part, as on occasion I change a lightbulb in my house and have on an occasion changed a fuse in my BMW, your point is well taken.

Ha! Sorry I just watch a video today where you were instructing the shop to change your light bulbs from clear to amber. :D Honestly, I mean no disrespect. I find it annoying when people are judgmental of those who pay to have work performed. I'm not implying that there is any of that going on here, just wanted you to know that my comments were for context only.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ha! Sorry I just watch a video today where you were instructing the shop to change your light bulbs from clear to amber. :D Honestly, I mean no disrespect. I find it annoying when people are judgmental of those who pay to have work performed. I'm not implying that there is any of that going on here, just wanted you to know that my comments were for context only.

Well said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Don,
I agree with the items you list and was not saying a fair cost of having it done wouldn't be 3 to 5k,
All (well most) those things you list I am doing anyway if I keep the 4 speed or change to a 5 speed

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, and I have paid people lots to do stuff on my car, sheet metal welding, paint, boring the cylinders...
So like everything it is how much DIY you can or want to do on a particular item

Bavman

Reaction score
yup....so instead of spending the $ a 5 spd takes...how about changing the diff from 3.64 to 3.45 ratio?? I know a guy having a sale on those right now....$200 for a 3.45 snap in side axel side loader diffs...each plus shipping from 27305

Email is [email protected] price on 3.45 diff is good till end of may 2018 only!

Thanks

Al

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
yup....so instead of spending the $ a 5 spd takes...how about changing the diff from 3.64 to 3.45 ratio?? I know a guy having a sale on those right now....$200 for a 3.45 snap in side axel side loader diffs...each plus shipping from 27305

Email is [email protected] price on 3.45 diff is good till end of may 2018 only!

Thanks

Al
Silly question… What is involved with that and what benefit would that give me?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Slightly better gas mileage I guess. Slightly less RPM on the highway. At the expense of initial take-off grunt.