Jay Leno's Garage

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yesterday I was lucky enough to spend the day filming with Jay Leno. A mutual friend had suggested to Jay that he feature one of my restorations on his show so I sent him a recently completed 1963 Team CJ Lightweight E Type to check out. I was nervous as hell but Jay was an incredibly generous and gracious host. One of the nicest people you could ever meet. The car I sent Jay is a 2200lb aluminum bodied E Type with 350hp and 360ft/lbs of torque. I can personally attest that he drove the crap out of it:eek:

Jay's collection is obviously legendary but to see it up close and have a personal tour from Jay was the treat of a lifetime for me. There weren't any E9s in the collection although he did agree that they are beautiful cars and he said he thought the 3.o engine was one of the sweetest sixes he had ever driven. Like any prospective buyer, hidden corrosion is his biggest concern. He invited me to bring some other cars to the garage for him to feature, so maybe I will take him a CSi or CSL. Something tells me if he came across the right E9 he might find a place for it in his 140,000 square foot garage ;)

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_7900.JPG

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, that's fantastic - what a wonderful experience that must have been. And to share such a great car from your shop - nice!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, How about a portrait/ pic of this E type along with your Golf Csl.

I’m looking forward to see these two classics next to each other. Will be an epic sight!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Congrats Dan. Well deserved coverage! I think that I can speak for everyone when I say that we are lucky to have you as a member of the forum.

BTW - I really like Jay Leno also. He has always let his guard down outside of the studio. He has a general enthusiasm for all autos and things mechanical. Plus, there is likely no single reason for him to do the show other than the fact that he likes cars and enjoys speaking with people.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Congrats Dan. Well deserved coverage! I think that I can speak for everyone when I say that we are lucky to have you as a member of the forum.

BTW - I really like Jay Leno also. He has always let his guard down outside of the studio. He has a general enthusiasm for all autos and things mechanical. Plus, there is likely no single reason for him to do the show other than the fact that he likes cars and enjoys speaking with people.
You are too kind, Mark, but thank you :)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Love that show.

Not sure why it's YouTube only. I like Jay Len's Garage better than his show on CNBC.

Congrats and insanely amazing E-type!

BTW, I kinda favor your Ferrari in that garage of your's.

;)

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow Dan what fun!
I've been around Jay a couple times at Pebble Beach and he is just like one of the guys. Definitely my favorite car show and host.
Your cars are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Gary

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
First - Dan, that is a gorgeous e-type ... simply stunning. i love how true the reflections are on the car body - no wavy lines of reflection - true artistry. well done and congrats for getting on that show

Dohn

Reaction score
I understand Jay does his filming in one take, so you have to be ready. I love that he's a true car guy, not in it because he had some spare cash, or only for the investment. Congratulations on the interview, and the tour!

That Jag is spectacular. That beautiful body with modern running gear sounds like the best of both worlds.