E9 in Washington, DC CL

jmackro

Reaction score
Along with the matching air cleaner!

I'm not getting what's wrong with the air cleaner, except for its shade of grey (too dark).

00t0t_20Hz6zKyfPD_600x450.jpg

If deviations from original are the issue (and they aren't to me), then the zebrawood dash and circa 1990's radio would seem more egregious.
00404_2qXg2yK925q_600x450.jpg

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not getting what's wrong with the air cleaner, except for its shade of grey (too dark).

00t0t_20Hz6zKyfPD_600x450.jpg

If deviations from original are the issue (and they aren't to me), then the zebrawood dash and circa 1990's radio would seem more egregious.
00404_2qXg2yK925q_600x450.jpg
It also looks brown like the interior
We have seen the optional Speaker Delete before, add it to the count. Never one of my favorites.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If all it needs is new bumpers and there's no rust (which is a big IF) then I think it's priced fairly. Everything looks like it was done with care at least, though the break fluid looks pretty dirty and the radiator bracket on the right hand side is for an automatic tranny equipped car. Seems like a good price point for the car- think maybe it would be worth more if they used FI instead of the carbs on the larger engine too-

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Everything looks like it was done with care at least, though the break fluid looks pretty dirty and the radiator bracket on the right hand side is for an automatic tranny equipped car.

Good eye. I noticed it is detached and wondered why.

I bought a few different brands of 7022 & 7043, with wild variations in tone and darkness. Some seemed overly brown depending on how the light hit them.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just trying to do my part and keep the negative comments rolling :)

Trouble is I'm wrong allot of the times
Peter, how shall we parse, "wrong allot of the times?" Should we read it, "wrong all of the times?" or "wrong a lot of the times?"
I would suggest we are all wrong some of the time. Some more than others. But you less than others.

Steve

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
We have seen the optional Speaker Delete before, add it to the count. Never one of my favorites.

Add it to the count of what? Every little negative thing we possibly find wrong with this car. Personally, the speaker delete IS one of my favorites. This is just my opinion but the dash speaker grill looks like a total afterthought on a otherwise beautifully designed dash. I had mine removed when Madera Concepts did my wood years ago.

I've said it before. If I were to ever sell my coupe, I would never list it here. It's like the members on this board make it a contest to prove to each other who can find more flaws with almost any car posted here.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the sentiment @vince. Your car is a stunning restomod, and anyone choosing to pick it apart would cause great personal disappointment for me.

I like to think that I have the ability to differentiate technical and or period-specific deviation from value and aesthetics. I think that cars look lovely with speaker deletes, 17” wheels, aftermarket steering wheels and seats. I don’t mind reading about what is “off”, and I don’t immediately associate that to negativity. This thread definitely has a negative slant unfortunately. I love the car for sale. I love chocolate brown leather, I love the lightweight csl look (hint). I’ll add to the negativity though - The ‘74 wheel isn’t my favorite. :D

If I ever sell my car I will include a list of the many many flaws and inconsistencies. I haven’t even restored it yet and I have the list of “flaws” in my head. ‘73+ grab bar, wrong steering wheel, seats are too late, grill isn’t aluminum, gauge console is over-the-top, should have drum brakes, should have a four speed, carbs are wrong, ignition is wrong, etc, etc. It is a long long list but that is the result of creating a budget restoration for myself, not for someone else.

Add it to the count of what? Every little negative thing we possibly find wrong with this car. Personally, the speaker delete IS one of my favorites. This is just my opinion but the dash speaker grill looks like a total afterthought on a otherwise beautifully designed dash. I had mine removed when Madera Concepts did my wood years ago.

I've said it before. If I were to ever sell my coupe, I would never list it here. It's like the members on this board make it a contest to prove to each other who can find more flaws with almost any car posted here.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Peter, how shall we parse, "wrong allot of the times?" Should we read it, "wrong all of the times?" or "wrong a lot of the times?"
I would suggest we are all wrong some of the time. Some more than others. But you less than others.

Steve

Steve, I would say "I'm wrong quite a bit", unless I were to believe my x-wife who would contend that I am wrong ALL of the time and then I would be giving myself a little credit by saying I'm wrong a lot of the time :)

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Hi Vince, I agree with the idea of not "attacking" anyone's car or especially the owner, but I kind of like hearing about all the little "bad" things. For me (and I'm only talking of myself) I have learned so many things about the cars from people pointing out the non-stock bits or issues they see. I have corrected many of those things on my car and I know you are an active contributor here and it would bum me out if you didn't list your car here if you were ever going to sell it.

I hope my comments are not seen as too negative, some issues/cars/prices do need to be "called out" though because as a group we should protect one another from scams etc.

Maybe it would be helpful for us to list the "good" and the "bad" when we're critiquing the cars and we all benefit even more :)

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

During the three years I spent looking for my car, I watched the ads here religiously, and I still drop in from time to time. I have learned a lot from the detailed commentary on specific cars that are offered for sale. Obviously, having people spot work that was not properly done alerts buyers to items that would need to be immediately remedied (and alerts those of us who own e9s what not to do). And because it is extremely rare to find an unmolested e9, the commentary here is one of the primary sources for learning about the pros and cons of various modifications that were properly implemented. I have learned from the commentary here, for example, that some modifications are common and make such a positive difference in the driving experience that we all agree that they do not diminish the value of our cars. I’m not sure where else I would have learned about this.

As to the less common modifications, we should expect that questions will arise about these when we go to sell our cars. I would expect if I listed my car for sale here that someone would point out that I don’t have the original seats in my car. I don’t see this as negative (it is a fact) and I would expect that I would have to explain that the Konig seats I installed are period correct, provide better support and are far more comfortable on long drives than the factory seats. I see your speaker delete as the same thing. Buyers might balk at our cars because of these, but that is a risk we undertook when we made our modifications (and made them to our specific tastes). And I would rather that a buyer know about these types of things as opposed to finding out about them later.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to be negative, just pointing out an inaccuracy. I like the brown interior but prefer a non speaker delete dash. But who cares as long as the prospective buyer likes it, right? Comments here are not nearly as negative as the jock sniffers on BaT!