Sharkfest April 25 -28 in Spartanburg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I got together with a couple of fellow coupsters regarding plans for e9 travel this year, and Sharkfest is again on our agenda. I started going six years ago as part of my effort to search for an e9. The event is primarily e24 people, is well run and has a good mix of people. Kai, one of the organizers, sought to become a coupster, but the car he bought was very rusty and far more expensive than he expected, so he sold it before completing the restoration.

I always see Doug Dolan at this event (although he doesn't always bring his e9). Last year, I attended with Tom Baruch. Alas, Tom and I were 2/3 of the entire e9 population! Here are Annabelle and BMWSKI basking in the sun.
Annabelle Basking in the Sun.jpg

We were at the factory last year, did a factory tour and saw the Zentrum. While I am sure there will be a BMW tie in of some sort, I believe the BMW sponsorship (and hence the use of the grounds) only arises every four years. That said, they have arranged for us to get on the Michelin test track this year which should be a blast.

I've spoken to Doug, Tom and Wayne Killen and we all plan to go. If anyone else is up for it, please let us know.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sounds like a much larger group of e9's this year. That's great.

I'm considering attending, but will be transported by the '97 e31. Thirtieth year since e31 introduction. Expecting at least upper teens number of e31's this year (9 last year, I believe). Hoping I'll be able to see y'all there (said with my best southern drawl).

Cheers,

Gary-

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Registered, I will see you all there.
What is your name and car info? I don't think I know you?
All these other old guys are friends.
This is my first time with my Shark. I have been without a car except I think I drove my 88 M5 or was it the LSB E46 M3. Just rubbing it in a little. LOL. I do have multiple BMW's and one 87 911 Targa.
Yes, Chris if I make it it will be the cars debut. I don't think she wants to go because she keeps kicking me in the balls.
Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You wouldn't want it to be too easy. That would take all the fun out of it!

I hope you can make it.

Adkfrank

Site Donor
Reaction score
What is your name and car info? I don't think I know you?
All these other old guys are friends.
This is my first time with my Shark. I have been without a car except I think I drove my 88 M5 or was it the LSB E46 M3. Just rubbing it in a little. LOL. I do have multiple BMW's and one 87 911 Targa.
Yes, Chris if I make it it will be the cars debut. I don't think she wants to go because she keeps kicking me in the balls.
Gary
Frank Greppo in upstate NY
1972 3.0 CS
I believe we have met.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
1972 3.0 CS
I believe we have met.
I hope you're being silly. Of course we have met. I guess I didn't realize you owned a coupe. I just thought you were one of those crazy 02 owners.
Hope I make it but trying very hard.
Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
1972 3.0 CS
I believe we have met.

Hey Frank -- a couple of us will be departing from the DC area Th morning. Will you be doing the entire drive on Th, or breaking it up?

Adkfrank

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope you're being silly. Of course we have met. I guess I didn't realize you owned a coupe. I just thought you were one of those crazy 02 owners.
Hope I make it but trying very hard.
Gary
Hope you m
Hey Frank -- a couple of us will be departing from the DC area Th morning. Will you be doing the entire drive on Th, or breaking it up?
We have 2 cars leaving upstate NY Wed AM then we meet up with another car in PA and spend the night in Winchester VA.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Frank -- message me with your contact information. Depending on when we get our act together, perhaps we can catch up with your caravan.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Please remember to posts lots of pics. Even the caravan pics on the way there are part of what makes these events special and memorable and enjoyed and appreciated for us not making the trip.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not going to make it.
Just seems like something kicks me in the but every couple of days.
Sunday afternoon I was feeling pretty good but around dinner time a back molar tooth began acting up. It had been zinging me for weeks and just kept ignoring it and maybe taking some Ibuprofen to get through the bad spots. Sunday evening it was really was getting worse so I called my dentist ( Easter Sunday) thinking I could leave a message they would get first thing Monday morning. They have an after hours answering service. About 30 minutes later my dentist calls me. I've been his patient for about 15 years or more and he is a car guy. Has a 60's Mustang that he got running again about 2 years ago.
So anyway I go to see him at 8:15 Monday morning. Takes a couple x-rays and didn't find a filling missing or a crack in the tooth.
Bad news was probably a root was dying. Calls the oral surgeon and at 12:30 I have a root canal done. Out by 1:45 and back home. Not too bad.
Earlier that morning I had called Hagerty to have the coupe put back to operational mode. It had been in a restoration category for 3 years which covered damage at body shop/ paint shop and then in my garage at home. I had the value at $35k. About right for a car with the rust this one had. LOL. So I asked to put the value at $100K. This was based on the cars on BAT that sold for $120-130's.
Mine being a new restoration and everything has been rebuilt.
So I get the root canal done and come home and no email or call from Hagerty. Thought this would just take a while. They inform me that they can't increase the value because I had a claim in 2016 on my E46 M3 DD. I had a freak accident and wasn't even charged because the police didn't think there was any reason to charge me.
Long story shortened, Hagerty refused to budge till August of this year when 3 years will have gone by and that claim will expire.
So you see this is where the underwriter attorneys control the business and their liability.
I am now working on a number of other possibilities including my home owners and DD company, State Farm.
They just have mileage limits of 3000 and make me a little nervous but did agree to the values I put on my 88 M5, 87 Porsche 911 Targa and then the 72 3.0CS.
I would have to get an appraisal of the coupe though.
So I put out the word to my local friends and found out about two more companies that will probably write this even with the claim that is 2 years and 8 months old.
I spoke to one of these companies today and explained this situation and they said they could "probably" write this.

In hind site it probably is a good thing this happened because it allowed me to breath and not be putting in all-nighters to try and finish the car. I lost a whole day with the tooth and insurance problem.
Just have to wait till next year.
Have fun and see some of you at The Vintage.
Gary

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Gary -- when I saw the Facebook photo today of your car without its hood, I figured you weren't coming. Sorry to hear that.