Poll: Fix your posts

Should Markos (and other moderators) correct posts?

• I know what I am doing, keep your hands to myself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not modify anyone's posts ever

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Forum activity is slow enough and I am on here long enough to sometimes, but rarely fix posts. Examples would be correcting bad links or broken images on new (and more so on very old) posts. Also, changing username references to @username links. Other examples adding a translation to posts. Some people appreciate this, some are alarmed. Just a reminder to everyone that there are many things that I can't see or do. I can't change your username. I can't approve new users. I can't read your PM's (and I don't want to). I do *often move posts. Less frequently I merge posts (particularly BaT auction posts that come in all at once). I sometimes modify thread titles, particularly in the classifieds section. Just trying to help out when necessary.

FYI - Responses are public (aka voter name shown). Vote on as many items as you want. Doesn't look like users can add poll options but comment with ideas.

Examples:

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Being a moderator will be unrewarding at times, but I think you're doing a great job, Mark, and thanks for asking our opinions in these matters, very democratic comparing to other forums!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I never change content but I may change the way something displays if images are causing strange page layouts. Since users can't delete their own posts that's usually the only thing I'll do if asked or it's obvious that the user wants it deleted.

If a user makes a mistake, typo or doesn't know the correct usage of certain features I just let it go. We don't have many grammar or spelling Nazi's on this forum so it usually just passes by without comment.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good point and very true about the climate. I lurk on a stupid amount of bulletin boards. The demographic on this one is quite a bit different than others. Many folks don’t really know how to fix their posts. Many a write up on how to perform basic edits will be helpful.

I never change content but I may change the way something displays if images are causing strange page layouts. Since users can't delete their own posts that's usually the only thing I'll do if asked or it's obvious that the user wants it deleted.

If a user makes a mistake, typo or doesn't know the correct usage of certain features I just let it go. We don't have many grammar or spelling Nazi's on this forum so it usually just passes by without comment.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Awesome. On my desk by end of next week?

Not the week to ask me for any more deliverables. :D What do you call it when you are burning the candle at both ends and there is no candle, only wick?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You guys do a (much appreciated) ton around here already, do you really want to take on more stuff? Unless certain things make it more difficult to keep order here, then perhaps take a breather and admire your work?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
You guys do a (much appreciated) ton around here already, do you really want to take on more stuff? Unless certain things make it more difficult to keep order here, then perhaps take a breather and admire your work?
I was joking with Mark. I knew he wouldn't do it anyway. ;)

What do you call it when you are burning the candle at both ends and there is no candle, only wick?
I think that's called a fuse.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was joking with Mark. I knew he wouldn't do it anyway. ;)

I think that's called a fuse.

@dang is simply reminding me of my habit to over commit and under deliver. Those that know me well recognize that my crazy ideas eventually come to fruition. :D

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks Markos for the attention to detail in this forum, which makes it such a great group.

Dumb question: on my phone app your mention of me popped up and I could read the post, but on my laptop I can’t find that mention or this thread anywhere. Am I crazy or just stupid:). And I’ll get that fixed right up- dang auto-correct especially on my phone.[emoji20]

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @JetDexter,

On the forum, mobile or otherwise. There is a bell icon at the top right. It will show a red banner with a small alert count. After you address that alert the banner disappears. You can still click on the bell to see your alert history.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Excuse me? This from the guy who thinks Spokane is west of Seattle?

Oh boy.....

JetDexter

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi @JetDexter,

On the forum, mobile or otherwise. There is a bell icon at the top right. It will show a red banner with a small alert count. After you address that alert the banner disappears. You can still click on the bell to see your alert history.

Yeah, that's really strange. I use that alert to see other notifications, but it just is not there. I just opened up preferences and checked that "when you are mentioned" in a post is selected and it is.

No worries for now- just nobody say anything bad about me because I won't know. Oh-wait, that only gives you liberty...

Thanks again!

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My five cents worth is the mods at their discretion should be able to fix broken links, non displaying pictures, basic fact checking, or remove offensive content but that's about it.
As far as spelling, translation etc I don't see the need. If members cant be bothered with a spell checker why should somebody else do it for them?
Same for translation. Don't want to sound like I'm on a rant it's not that hard to use Google translate?
Our mods do an amazing job, that's not always easy. Posters shouldn't expect them to give up more of their time to fix mistakes borne of laziness.
Or looking at it another way some posters may get even more sloppy if think the mods will come in and fix their posts for them.
Sorry if I sound harsh. @Markos feel free to amend this post and fix any spelling mistakes :p