Project E9: Dream Build

Albert

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I have a E9 3.0cs and I wanted to share my vision and the route I am going. I am sure some will like and some will not but that is the part of the game. So, I will list some specs, pics and more of how the car is now. I will Also share my vision for it. I purchased my car here in Florida from a BMW collector that was selling a few projects and after going back and fourth I was able to buy it.

1974 BMW 3.0cs
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black
Automatic

Things to do
Lowered Suspension
Restore Dashboard
Install Dual 38/38 Carbs
Repair Tranmission Pan Leak
Install Windshield

Dream
Install my S52 motor
Also I have the S52 manual transmission

No one I know knew how to tune the zenith carbs so I bought the Webbers hoping to find someone to do the 38's and I still have yet to find someone. Disclaimer I am not going entirely pure original look so heads up. I do like to shoot for the Christian look for H&R. So I am shooting to slam the car and have set of 18" wheels on it. I will share on here which wheels I have 2 in mind. I have renders being made of them so I can share with you all here.

Below is attached his car for example and a render from a wheels company.

Next response will have pics of my car currently and when I first go it.

Attachments

• E9 1221 Wheels.jpg
    E9 1221 Wheels.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 1,931
  • hr-suspension-e9-bmw-csi-title.jpg
    hr-suspension-e9-bmw-csi-title.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 281

Albert

Reaction score
Here are photos of the vehicle currently now

Only work that was performed since I received it was:
Rear window install
Alcantra Full Headliner

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_9620.JPG
IMG_8721.JPG
IMG_9842.JPG
IMG_4974.JPG
IMG_3500.JPG
IMG_7415.JPG

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome aboard.
We have all sorts of projects on here and many great people that can provide advice.
Before I form an opinion on your restoration plans can you tell me if it's a matching numbers car and if that's the factory colour?
If it is I'd personally keep it that way. If not doesn't matter so much. In either event I'd keep the original motor in case a future owner wanted to put it back in.
From the pictures it looks like the car is pretty tidy. What's the rust like?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks like you installed rear window without the trim pieces, it has to be put into the rubber first.
Yep, what Chris said. I had my car worked on years ago and didn't have the rear window trim for the body shop so they put it in without it so I could drive the car. Don't try to install it afterwards, just start over with the trim. From experience. LOL

Albert

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.
We have all sorts of projects on here and many great people that can provide advice.
Before I form an opinion on your restoration plans can you tell me if it's a matching numbers car and if that's the factory colour?
If it is I'd personally keep it that way. If not doesn't matter so much. In either event I'd keep the original motor in case a future owner wanted to put it back in.
From the pictures it looks like the car is pretty tidy. What's the rust like?

Very good point I meant to keep the original motor and transmission and etc in case if ever sold someone would desire that. I have to do more research on my car to see the history on it. Rust honestly there none visible or under, but I am not familiar with the hidden spots that are commonly on this car. I will take more pics under to show you guys in case I am just being a newbie. Pretty solid car though.
Thank you for everything you shared with me.

Reactions: Wes

Albert

Reaction score
You dream is not far fetched.
Enjoy the car and the dream.

I appreciate that! I have been searching for this car for a long time almost 5 years and I have had I.t sit for 1 year so now am ready to get the ball rolling.

Albert

Reaction score
Yep, what Chris said. I had my car worked on years ago and didn't have the rear window trim for the body shop so they put it in without it so I could drive the car. Don't try to install it afterwards, just start over with the trim. From experience. LOL

lol man that is why I am just being transparent here because I know without you guys I would make a few mistakes lol. Thank you for sharing man.

Albert

Reaction score
does anyone have recommendation where to buy the air dam? I have seen them on Ireland engineering just want to make sure I get a good fit.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Also re Airdam, coupeguy.com coupeking.com and CSi, Inc. at bmwclassicparts.com all sell airdams. Sure I'm forgetting some others, but search this site for both "airdam" and "front spoiler" and you'll find discussions of experiences with them.

Re the S52, there's an old post from Mario at VSR1 (who Stan just mentioned) https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/1973-3-0csi-conversion.5683/post-34604 that discusses how hard it was and that he doesn't think it is right for the car. And that is one of the top restorers of BMWs in the US. If you do a search for "S52 engine" or "S52 swap," you'll find alot of folks who think it just isn't the right engine for the car.

I'm not an expert and don't say any of that to dissuade you, but I went through the same thought process at one point and decided against it. No one else will be driving or paying for your car, so do what makes you happy!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are photos of the vehicle currently now

View attachment 77726

I also just noticed one complicating factor is it appears you retain most of the 74 emissions equipment. That makes it even harder to get the Zeniths even roughly back to life. It also creates even more opportunities for vacuum leaks, etc. Likewise it complicates the Weber swap, because most of that will have to be abandoned and capped off. Your fuel filterlooks more like the filter for a CSi. Unless someone has added a fuel pump at some point, get the simple version (looks like a tractor/riding lawnmower filter) at local parts store.

Albert

Reaction score
I also just noticed one complicating factor is it appears you retain most of the 74 emissions equipment. That makes it even harder to get the Zeniths even roughly back to life. It also creates even more opportunities for vacuum leaks, etc. Likewise it complicates the Weber swap, because most of that will have to be abandoned and capped off. Your fuel filterlooks more like the filter for a CSi. Unless someone has added a fuel pump at some point, get the simple version (looks like a tractor/riding lawnmower filter) at local parts store.

Hey,

but the greater outcome will be with webers right? I assume there no way to clean those non functional pieces since they have to be capped off. The fuel pump I honestly have no idea I would have to look into that to see.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but, the Webers are different but not better. Much more familiar to mechanics and others maybe but they both need to be synced well to perform well and both have idle richness screws and butterfly stop screws. And your air cleaner will appreciate a nice fitting Zenith carb to attach to, there are Weber adapters but the air cleaner will sit a bit higher and farther back as well. My 2 cents!

Albert

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but, the Webers are different but not better. Much more familiar to mechanics and others maybe but they both need to be synced well to perform well and both have idle richness screws and butterfly stop screws. And your air cleaner will appreciate a nice fitting Zenith carb to attach to, there are Weber adapters but the air cleaner will sit a bit higher and farther back as well. My 2 cents!

yeah I understand completely just hard to keep zenith due to the factI have not found anyone that is willing to touch it. I am eager to drive I.t so I just gave in to the weber carbs. Air cleaner is a good point haven't thought about that one I would want to see what others setups people have done apart from stock.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Also re Airdam, coupeguy.com coupeking.com and CSi, Inc. at bmwclassicparts.com all sell airdams. Sure I'm forgetting some others, but search this site for both "airdam" and "front spoiler" and you'll find discussions of experiences with them.

Re the S52, there's an old post from Mario at VSR1 (who Stan just mentioned) https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/1973-3-0csi-conversion.5683/post-34604 that discusses how hard it was and that he doesn't think it is right for the car. And that is one of the top restorers of BMWs in the US. If you do a search for "S52 engine" or "S52 swap," you'll find alot of folks who think it just isn't the right engine for the car.

I'm not an expert and don't say any of that to dissuade you, but I went through the same thought process at one point and decided against it. No one else will be driving or paying for your car, so do what makes you happy!

Id's got with Zaprace from the UK for the dam as have bought their product and it's excellent.

Albert

Reaction score
Hey all,

here to give an update on my e9 this is what I had done to the original motor to get up running for now.

BLACK 1974 3.0 CS
Prep manifolds- clean surface, check inside for debris, vac out.
Drill and tap tube adapters for plugs, install.
Block off coolant hoses that went to old carbs.
Install new carbs, gaskets, spacers using matching new hardware.
Install new carb linkage arms and ball studs.
install new linkage pivot mounts, stops, linkage arms to carbs and to throttle.
Synchronize carb actuation.
Run wiring for electric chokes.
Removed sending unit and cleaned.
Flushed fuel line to engine.
Installed new see-through fuel filter in engine compartment replacing existing metal cased one.
Run new hose from filter to fuel pump, pump to T fitting, from there to each carb.
Reassembled, installed, and timed distributor.

now she is running smooth but I have to install windshield but my dashboard needs love and that is where I am stuck to remove and have it repaired. was wondering is anyone had any knowledge or connection to help with dashboard.