Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a setback with the latest AC face plate revision. After spending two days getting the paint and texture correct I discovered during a mockup that the AC fan switch now interferes with the radio. I'm back to the drawing board with my modeler, trying to get this thing just right. I will be comparing the printed part with a pristine face plate on Thursday to document the changes.

The latest version which was supposed to be just right was heading to an important customer in California. I can imagine that they will be disappointed. :(

What is interesting is that in this factory AC install pic, the switch also appears to interfere with the radio:

IMG_0430.JPG

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I can check this weekend but doesnt the plug go to the side so as to provide room?

Wouldn't I like to know! Thank you for offering to look. It can really only go up or down. I would think that the factory manual would show the correct orientation, but the pic doesn't make much sense. Either way, I believe that I have interference. I didn't in earlier versions but I specifically went after the overall height of the face plate in the last revision.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
I hadn't considered the clearance for a radio since I'm not close to installing my AC, but looking at my AC grill that came in the trunk of my car, I see that the fan switch certainly does conflict with the radio opening. My opening is not stock, though I don't know how much it's been widened. I don't have a vintage radio to see if there's clearance, but two newer radios I do have don't look like they would fit.

I agree, it's not possible to turn the switch 90 degrees or upside down to take advantage of the space between the switches because the knob on the switch is off center high. Very odd. Unless the correct radios have a narrow neck to allow for the switch connector, fitting a radio might be problematic. It appears there is room if the fan switch hole is moved up some, but I don't have the plug so I don't know how far that would have to be to get clearance.

Surely installing a radio in an AC equipped car is a topic that has been well discussed before.

Ian

AC-grill-IMG_2090.jpg
AC-grill-IMG_2093.jpg
AC-Grill-IMG_2091.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics Ian. I am definitely confused. I have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt, which fits precisely within the factory console opening. Yours doesn't look that far off from factory. You can compare to some of my measurement photos on the previous pages. Looking forward to more feedback on this. Perhaps @OCCoupe knows. He did his up with a nice Blaupunkt in his fine coupe.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
One practical possibility is to upgrade the fan switch to a newer, smaller one. Since they are all but invisible, that could work, at the expense of originality. Seems a shame to not use a correct, original switch if one is available.

I may have to change my switch if I can't find the correct connector for it when I do my install. No idea how scarce they are, but if the rest of the AC install is a guide, they are like hens teeth.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
one thing to keep in mind, the fan switch rotation is not going to alter how the switch alignment works ... as there are no tick-marks ... its just a turn it to the right for a higher speed / turn it to the left for a slower speed.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I may have to change my switch if I can't find the correct connector for it when I do my install. No idea how scarce they are, but if the rest of the AC install is a guide, they are like hens teeth.

Hit me up when you get to that point. I have a spare plug. There was a lot of talk about $200 AC temp and fan switches lately. I bought both switches with knobs for a total of $5. I need the stuff for mocking up the faceplate at the moment. Once I am production ready the plug is yours. I'll keep the switches in case I need to mock any photos (4 gauge panel, etc.)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
one thing to keep in mind, the fan switch rotation is not going to alter how the switch alignment works ... as there are no tick-marks ... its just a turn it to the right for a higher speed / turn it to the left for a slower speed.

True but you can't roatate the switch less than 180 degrees. The vents get in the way. I believe at 180 degrees of rotation it interferes with the temp switch. Also for the purists, I think the fan arrow on the switch should go from 4pm to 8pm when off. The switch shaft is keyed so you can just align the knob where you like it.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is rotated 1/4 turn facing the passenger side. I have taken the face plate out many times and never gave it a second thought. I just assumed it was meant to be to the side .

IMG_3791.JPG
IMG_3796.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mine is rotated 1/4 turn facing the passenger side. I have taken the face plate out many times and never gave it a second thought. I just assumed it was meant to be to the side .

I believe that those are aftermarket knobs. They are probably like that due to the location of the keyed section of the knob.

52509003_z.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are BMW knobs but not the original ones. I replaced all of them (including the lights) to get rid of the symbols for a cleaner look. No one else drives the car and I know what each controls. I also know the shift pattern.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are BMW knobs but not the original ones. I replaced all of them (including the lights) to get rid of the symbols for a cleaner look. No one else drives the car and I know what each controls. I also know the shift pattern.

BMW had versions without logos, but I don't think that your knobs came from an e3/e9. Sorry I'm not trying to critique, just account for the location of the tick marks. I had a set of the logo free knobs. They are the same profile as the logo knobs.

30221575624_8b76d48373_b.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Very nice, even the radio knobs. It was way back in 1984 when I changed out my knobs and that was all I could find. I was going to remove the cigarette but never got around to it.

Didn't mean to get sidetracked on knobs. I am trying to say your prototype face plate looks great and correct to me.

IMG_3802.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Didn't mean to get sidetracked on knobs. I am trying to say your prototype face plate looks great and correct to me.

Have at it! All the best threads go a bit rogue. The subject of knobs is relevant to this thread because I have considered 3D printing them in polycarbonate or something sturdy and smooth.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If this hasnt been solved by sat am i will pull my faceplate and take pics. I have ac with a stock radio and cutout.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
If this hasnt been solved by sat am i will pull my faceplate and take pics. I have ac with a stock radio and cutout.

Thank you Steve! I will keep you posted! I should have a faceplate in hand tomorrow. My California customer is being very patient. I just sent him two extra relay bases also. Hopefully that helps!