underdash trim panel

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, so how many times do you have to try to close the under dash trim panel that is the access to the hood release? My catch is undoubtedly worn, so I sometimes must try to close 3-6 times before it will actually hold.
I have a newer catch from a later car, the one where you turn it to connect, but it is black and I prefer the "bling" of the original chrome. Has anyone done a refurbishment of this failing catch that they can share? Thanks, Mike

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had the same issue. I was able to file the catch and adjust it so it closes every time. Takes a bit of trial and error. Also had to locate a new push button as my original wasn't any good. The pin kept drifting out.

61porsche

Reaction score
2 latch and catch types specific to years. Not easy to make work when mixed. Knob early, push button later keyed to panel. You can shim/ adjust the strike a bit. You can loosen the hinge, set, and tighten.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just bend the catch a little in or out. Also you can try loosening the screws that hold the cover on the firewall (not really easy ) and move the cover a little until it the catch catches. Easier just to bend the catch.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had a catch break, and made one from a piece of solid steel, took me about an hour to shape with a dremel. Worked like a charm until I set the push knob down somewhere in my shop and now, can't find it. Old age.
and then you were yelling "where are my glasses"....and found them on the top of your head :D

BTW, had some luck just filing the catch a little sharper. closes now on first attempt-been a long time since that has happened.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is an easy way around this. First, open the driver's side door, then climb out of the drivers seat. Squat down placing your right thumb on the button with your fingers on the top of the door. Then move your left index finger next to your right on the top of the door. Finally, push the button and pull on the top of the door simultaneously with both hands. Easy peasy.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I think I have a push button but would need to see a photo to make sure it is for an E9
Koopman