What did you do to your E9 today?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Mike ... who made the car cover? with a black car, having that type of a cover might keep dust from working thru the "dustproof" car cover.

dbower

Reaction score
Had to jump start the coupe since I hadn't driven it in a few weeks and it was cold outside. Battery was low so I jumped it. Started fine and the hood proceeded to slam shut -- with the jumper cables still attached. I now have a big dent protruding from my pristine hood, and cracked paint. I should not be allowed to own this car. Learn from my idiocy.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
changed the air box clamps for some period correct ones:

upload_2017-12-17_12-16-24.png

i did sand blast and rechrome them

upload_2017-12-17_12-16-54.png

upload_2017-12-17_12-17-29.png

upload_2017-12-17_12-17-48.png

upload_2017-12-17_12-18-22.png

these are NLA, but found some, i do have 2 more that i can part with,...

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/fs-a-couple-of-bits.27252/

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went for a 20 minute drive and noted several problems. I’m not particularly concerned about any of them, but good to document.

My tail lights don’t work (haven’t checked bulbs and have spare housings)
My signals don’t work (haven’t checked stalk but have spare stalk and housings)
My Heater blower won’t turn off (I think this is the PO’s doing)
Heater core is likely clogged, heat is cold
Brakes pull to the left (I have spare calipers and a rebuild kit)
My odometer works fine as does the speedo (replacing the whole cluster)
My tach sticks
My gas gauge doesn’t work
My wipers don’t work or I don’t know how to engage them. My blinkers are on the right but I still don’t know what the up and down movement on the left stalk does. I have a spare stalk, spare motor, and spare relay.

Other than that I can’t help but notice that I get more power out of the low end. Shifting into second gives me some grunt. I’m more used to high strung top end power. My 4spd gear box is very tight. I do get a bit of whine. I’m replacing with my dogleg assuming that it checks out. Lastly, I get a boise similar to chains dragging on the ground when coming to a stop slowly. Not sure about that one. I really should stop driving it but I can’t help myself. :)

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quote: ".they are still trying to find the plug to link to the computer,..." Well done Jesus.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Sounds like 21st century mechanics at the dealerships in the western world are all alike [and their compatriots in the parts department can't find anything (including a screw or a crush washer) without a part number AND the VIN!!] Oh for the days when Mechanics actually understood mechanical stuff and how to fix things rather than throw new parts at the car. Also, the guys in the parts department could find anything in about 2 minutes (usually with just the customer description of the item and what purpose it served)!

Up until 8 months ago, I still had such a REAL mechanic who owned his independent MB, RR, and Ferrari (only brands) shop. 80+ year old who arrived in the US from Italy in about 1965. He was fabulous - not only to repair my Benz, but tell me how to do it if I really wanted to do myself. Unfortunately, he had a severe heart attack, quadruple bypass surgery with complications, and the shop is now closed. I miss my friend and counselor of over 45 years.

Gary

Last edited:

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Got her towed back in garage… after having engine bay cleaned of any rust and re-sprayed.

Surprisingly it wasn’t rusted under “paint” only some surface minimal rust, but anyway it was a lot of work removing all that they applied on + some leftovers of sound deadening. I decided to use no sound deadening plates i just like the clean look without plates.

Here are pictures how it looks now. Not perfect but super happy with result.

c159465ae56aa8a61ef6dae377f35784.jpg

2bf3167dd197fa8466cfa1c66e26cabc.jpg

7415c7132f59bae58ee1c7d5657fad01.jpg

Tomorrow if it won’t be freezing I will try to clean up engine.

Merry Christmas guys!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Got her towed back in garage… after having engine bay cleaned of any rust and re-sprayed.

Surprisingly it wasn’t rusted under “paint” only some surface minimal rust, but anyway it was a lot of work removing all that they applied on + some leftovers of sound deadening. I decided to use no sound deadening plates i just like the clean look without plates.

Here are pictures how it looks now. Not perfect but super happy with result.

View attachment 37862
View attachment 37863
View attachment 37864

Tomorrow if it won’t be freezing I will try to clean up engine.

Merry Christmas guys!

Wow! Your engine bay looks FANTASTIC! I am quite envious. I think I'm with you on not reinstalling the sound deadening padding, or whatever it is. Much cleaner look without it, and one less place for moisture and rust to hide.

Great job!