Hood latch adjustment- what am i doing wrong????

Scott Wilson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys, i have searched and read the many posts related to this topic and appreciate all the pointers but i still cannot figure out what's wrong!!

1)
So when i purchased my car the hood gap on the drivers side was raised and the hood didn't close flush up by the windshield. So i replace the bolts that attach the torsion spring arms to the fenders with the proper shoulder bolts which allow them to slide in the slot. However i realized that upon closing the hood, the elbow of the drivers side torsion arm would fold and hit the fender prohibiting the hood to drop further. So the hood on the drivers side was forced to bend over the point where the elbow was hitting (fulcrum). So the only way i could figure to make this work was to bend the torsion spring arm in toward the middle of the car so that as it bends the elbow moves a bit inward and clears the fender. So now the drivers side sits a bit lower and it doent appear to bend over the point where the elbow was hitting the fender. Is this correct?? Ahould the elbow be bent in to miss the fender or am i missing something. How else could it work?

2)
Now when i pull the hood latch to close the hood, there is still a large gap by the windshield. I have tried to adjust the latch "hooks" on the hood but that doesnt seem to do anything to lower the final position. As it is the jaws appear to just reach up high enough to grab the downward facing hooks, but dont pull the hooks down far enough to make the hood flush. I realize i might be able to lower the latch jaws (looks like a hassle, as i have to remove a few items to access the adjustment bolts). Assuming i could lower the latch jaws, im afraid the jaws would be too low to reach the hooks hanging off the hood. Does anyone have any advice on what i might be missing? Very frustrating.

Thanks for any help.

Scott Wilson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well i went out to take some photos of my problem and got sucked into it again. I think i finally have figured this out. Very long story, but the shoulder bolts on the torsion spring arms were too loose and slid back upon closing blocking the elbows from folding properly. Thus holding the hood open a bit.

So once i figured that out i then went about trying to get the dang latches to work. Basically i realized they were WAY out of adjustment, thus i had to reset the jaws on both sides to pull the hood down by using the set screws on the cable to close the jaws more when in the open position..what a crazy mechanism! The hood is much more flush, butstill does not close perectly flush, but im afraid to put any more tension on the cable...it feels like it is going to snap as it is! Am i missing somthing here?

Thanks

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have you or anybody else recently replaced any of the gaskets that the hood lies against?
I know that one of the reproduction gaskets that seals between the engine compartment and the fresh air intake side can be too high, and make the hood not close properly.

Scott Wilson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chris,

Thanks for the thought,. Yes, I checked both latches by backing off the 10mm bolts and they were both down as far as they can go.

Robert, thanks for the thought as well. I'll check the rubber seals as you suggest. They were replaced once in the past i am sure.

Thanks for input.

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
Take off the front and bulkhead seals if you can and see if you can get a good close on your bonnet. If you can the problem is with the seals and not the striker or cable

m_thompson

Reaction score
Have you or anybody else recently replaced any of the gaskets that the hood lies against?
I know that one of the reproduction gaskets that seals between the engine compartment and the fresh air intake side can be too high, and make the hood not close properly.

I have new gaskets, and they stop the hood from completely closing.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you have the new type BMW seal - quite stiff. it might be worth trying one of the generic seals from Steele - perhaps this one
https://www.steelerubber.com/top-lip-push-on-seal-70-3591-99

651bffc103b4321cbf02bb01baa8.jpg

Scott Wilson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay!!! Success at last!

You guys were right! It was the seals! I dismissed the possibility of it being the seals as i thought they were proper BMW original seals. But after all the adjustment on latches and cables, taking the seal off made the hood perfectly aligned and flush. So now i will check into the Steele rubber pieces Scott P recommended and see if it still stays flush.

Thanks for the help.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
my coupe isn't home so i can't verify the size of the original seal ... can somebody please check out theirs and give Scott some verification.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have new W and N seals and they stop the bonnet closing properly.
I anyone has succes with other seals, especially if they don't cost the earth, then please let us all know.