Trip to Munich

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm planning on being in Munich the 9-13th of May and again the 15-18th of June. I plan on doing the BMW Museum Tour on one or more of those days. Any advice for attractions not to miss in Munich or inside info regarding BMW would be appreciated. I am in the final stages of finishing Sixto my BMW 745 powered 1974 CS, European Coupe delivery and if any Board members around Munich would be interested in meeting that would be a real highlight to our trip too.

Additionally we will be in,tenatively, Gorlitz 25-28th May and Berlin 29th May -3rd June.

Since Germany is the home of our interest in Coupes and all things BMW and the U.S. has a very active community with Coupes I thought that having personal interaction between the two and others could make for a more interesting and advantageous relationship. Exchanging ideas, traveling internationally (for us) and supporting our hobby/obsession could result in a tighter working relationship for all participants of the E9 Board.

I'm looking forward to member replies.

Regards, Jon

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
In Berlin, you must go the the Classic Remise, formerly the Meilenwerk. You can google it for details but it is a classic car enthusiast’s dream.

Philippe db

Reaction score
Hi Jon,

When you visit BMW world and the museum you should include a factory visit. Well worth the extra €'s

Have fun.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Hi Jon,
When you visit BMW world and the museum you should include a factory visit. Well worth the extra €'s
Have fun.

I believe that the English language factory tours are at 11:00 AM. The factory tour is very interesting. My wife got to see how her E91 was made.

m_thompson

Reaction score
The Deutsches Museum is like our Smithsonian, and well worth a visit. I have been to the main museum at Museumsinsel 1, the transportation museum (Verkehrszentrum) Am Bavariapark 5, and the airplane museum (Deutsches Museum
Flugwerft Schleißheim) at Effnerstraße 18. All are worth a visit.

jhart

Reaction score
Classic BMW lovers who visit Munich should not miss BMW Classic, about a kilometer NW of the BMW Factory/Museum/4 Cylinder HQ building. I believe English tours are Monday afternoons. Classic is located in BMW's first factory (airplane engines) recently restored and includes a repair/restoration facility, museum with many cars that can be rented. At the very least, stop in the Mo66 Cafe for a treat, including seeing some interesting classics moving in and out of the garage. Mossacher Strasse 66. https://www.bmwgroup-classic.com/en.html

arnie

Reaction score
Jon,

you need to switch the dates for Munich and Berlin, since the chance to meet a lot of German coupè owners can not be bigger than at the weekend, when you plan to be in Munich.

This weekend the yearly meeting of the CS-Club members takes place in Potsdam (quite close to Berlin).

http://e9-forum.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27181

More than 50 cars expected I suppose.

How mobile will you be out in Germany ? For people, who are kind of addicted to technics, the museum in Sinsheim is an absolute must (200 miles from Munich). Never seen such a huge number of various cars, planes, trains, helicopters etc.

https://sinsheim.technik-museum.de/

Simply stunning there.

If you ever be in the center of Germany, just let me know. That's where I'm located (close to Dortmund)

Cheers

Ingo

Ives

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you for all of the info and guidance. I'm sorry this is a bit late in responding to the help but the completion of my Coupe project Sixto has kept me occupied in the run up to our leaving. We leave tomorrow the 8th and will arrive in Munich on the 9th late in the afternoon. We are there till the 11th and then in Gorlitz the 26-29 of May, Berlin May 29-June 3 and will return to Munich on the 15th of June. If any BMW fans or Coupe owners are available to meet it would be a real treat. You can always contact me on the Forum and I can provide my email and cell number through a conversation.

Thank You and Regards, Jon

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I contacted BMW via phone regarding our visit to Munich on May 21 and 22, I was told the factory tour is closed until late June, and the Classic Center is also closed until mid-late June. Bad timing for us!!

Gary

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Make the short drive to Stuttgart to see the Mercedes Benz museum.
Porsche museum is also worth a visit.

Audi museum in Ingostadt is also a great visit as most people don't have much of a cue wrt their history.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Very valid, but on a previous trip we visited the Porsche museum about 6 months after it opened and the Mercedes museum (which was outstanding) the following day. I had a lot of interactions with Audi in the late 80's, and spent some time in their factory. Would love to see their new museum, but it's not in the cards for this trip.

Gary