Advice needed for Rear Anti Sway Bar and sound proofing material for engine

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am sort of restoring my coupe and decided to get a rear anti-sway bar. Any suggestions?
Also, I need the sound deadening material for engine. Should I just buy off shelve stuff and cut to fit, or something special?
Thanks so very much!

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Also, I need the sound deadening material for engine. Should I just buy off shelve stuff and cut to fit, or something special?

Scott, take a look at Christoph’s site. You will see a few items there you that you are looking for. Particularly page 2&3.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, here's where I'd check for rear sway bars.
(1) Suspension Techniques 1-800-445-3767
(2) Ireland engineering, iemotorsport.com (LA)
(3) Mario at VSR1
Hopefully you can get an adjustable one because you might be one of those guys who like loose tails.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
decide to get one ?
this is not exactly like puting this or other air freshner perfume, or this colour coco mats
suspension is something very serious and car safety is involved in those modifications
you know why your car did not have one ?
do you have a front one ? which diameter ?
which kind of suspension do you have or do you want to have ?
what kind of driver are you ?
the bigger might not be the better

i would recommend asking for suspension recommendations involving, shocks, springs, and front and rear anty sway bars

i even happen to have a thread on the topic

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
decide to get one ?
this is not exactly like puting this or other air freshner perfume, or this colour coco mats
suspension is something very serious and car safety is involved in those modifications
you know why your car did not have one ?
do you have a front one ? which diameter ?
which kind of suspension do you have or do you want to have ?
what kind of driver are you ?
the bigger might not be the better

i would recommend asking for suspension recommendations involving, shocks, springs, and front and rear anty sway bars

i even happen to have a thread on the topic

I have new lower springs from La Jolla along with new blisteins all around. I have front anti sway i am told. i have a 74 e9. i am told there is no rear anti sway bar. i like to drive fairly aggressively when i can. i don't want a cushy ride. not sure of diameter of front, but believe it is stock. what is link to your thread? thanks very much.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, take a look at Christoph’s site. You will see a few items there you that you are looking for. Particularly page 2&3.
what is his url? I found site
any input on which one to get would be appreciated. i don't know much about this stuff. thanks so very much.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ is trying to look out for your welfare. The best guys to advise you are the racers (Al Taylor, Duane Sword, etc).

DQ's point is by going to big bars, you change the balance of the car. You'll gain something and you'll lose something. The boys in Bavaria designed your suspension to be benign for the average BMW driver. If you have superior skills, then you might want a different set of compromises. But an average driver might not fully understand what tradeoffs and comprises are being made, and subsequently have an accident. For example, adding a performance rear anti-sway bar will make your car more responsive at turn-in, and it'll corner flatter and understeer a less. But, in the rain the car wil have less grip at the back (less understeer or plow came from lowering the relative grip at the back). This change in balance could lead to a spin at lateral G levels that would have been ok without a rear bar. If you do CCA DE events and are a 'good' driver you will probably love the changes. If this were my wife or kid's cars, no way would I add that rear anti-sway.

As far as choices, Andrew speaks for many of us who have the same big front bar and added rear bar (mine's adjustable). But it means I have to be more focused when driving closer to the limit because with the big bars the car will have a greater tendency to leave the road going backwards (as opposed to plowing off a corner nose first).

But, these are easy to add and easy to remove so I personally recommend you try it and get reacquainted with your car via some time on a skid pad, autoX or CCA DE events. Also, run +2psi in the rear

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
i have done a lot of driving experience on tracks with Porsche club, bmw club etc in chicago so prefer a car set up for aggressive driving.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
And... DQ is saying suspensions are a system. Maybe LAJolla should be where you are getting your bars to match the springs and shocks. Anti sways are not as important to buy as a system if they are adjustable

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
what is his url? I found site
any input on which one to get would be appreciated. i don't know much about this stuff. thanks so very much.

Send him a pm. He is a member here and will be able to answer to your requirements and suggest what you need.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
yes, mine was a three years trial error process, but i suppose that i ended up with a system blessed by experts out there
CN springs + B6 bilsteins (i recall denomination is different in EU)
rear sway bar is stock
front upgraded to 23mm coming from an e12
pu suspension bushings
car drives and corners very nicely in small, twisted roads, driving sytle can be considered aggresive
i only drive dry roads

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

For the hood liner, contact Rob Budd at [email protected] . He produces the three piece hood liners for our cars from an excellent product. Chris Ohmes helped me position and install mine, and commented it looked better and felt better than the OEM one he'd purchased. Rob is a long time friend of mine whose primary business is restoration of classic Porsche interiors - primarily 911's and 928's. He is located in Michigan, and the his price is good for a great product. You can reference me if you wish when you contact him.

Robb also sells on eBay, and here is a listing for the e9 hood liner: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-Hoo...m4408ee7f5f:m:mLBeE4WZQhQupD4IHiI4_Og&vxp=mtr

The one I bought from him is plain, but he does sell with the BMW logo as well.

Cheers,

Gary

PS Scott.
I watched your video above, and have a comment about the 'car looking high'. Next time you go to the shop, take with you 4 bundles of newspaper (each bundle is about 8-10 pages folded as they would be when you are reading the front page. Put one bundle folded in half (as it would be in a news stand) under each wheel, with the folded edge toward the middle of the car. Then, let the car down. The top sheets of newspaper will slide on the lower sheets, allowing the wheels to approach nearly the condition they will be when being driven. As Gary stated, the sticky rubber of the tires on the concrete prevents the tire from sliding out - which would release the camber. This causes the chassis to be held up higher.

Been doing this for years with my cars in my hobby shop, as it also releases improper tension on some of the suspension bushings etc.

Looking good!

Last edited:

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott,

For the hood liner, contact Rob Budd at [email protected] . He produces the three piece hood liners for our cars from an excellent product. Chris Ohmes helped me position and install mine, and commented it looked better and felt better than the OEM one he'd purchased. Rob is a long time friend of mine whose primary business is restoration of classic Porsche interiors - primarily 911's and 928's. He is located in Michigan, and the his price is good for a great product. You can reference me if you wish when you contact him.

Robb also sells on eBay, and here is a listing for the e9 hood liner: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E9-Hoo...m4408ee7f5f:m:mLBeE4WZQhQupD4IHiI4_Og&vxp=mtr

The one I bought from him is plain, but he does sell with the BMW logo as well.

Cheers,

Gary

PS Scott.
I watched your video above, and have a comment about the 'car looking high'. Next time you go to the shop, take with you 4 bundles of newspaper (each bundle is about 8-10 pages folded as they would be when you are reading the front page. Put one bundle folded in half (as it would be in a news stand) under each wheel, with the folded edge toward the middle of the car. Then, let the car down. The top sheets of newspaper will slide on the lower sheets, allowing the wheels to approach nearly the condition they will be when being driven. As Gary stated, the sticky rubber of the tires on the concrete prevents the tire from sliding out - which would release the camber. This causes the chassis to be held up higher.

Been doing this for years with my cars in my hobby shop, as it also releases improper tension on some of the suspension bushings etc.

Looking good!

You ROCK. Ordered and will try the newspaper experiment next time i see the car. Thanks.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Send him a pm. He is a member here and will be able to answer to your requirements and suggest what you need.
Thanks. Do you have his UN on this forum? If he is located in Germany, then may make more sense to get the anti-sway from Carla or in US, but seems he has the engine soundproof too. Thanks.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
And... DQ is saying suspensions are a system. Maybe LAJolla should be where you are getting your bars to match the springs and shocks. Anti sways are not as important to buy as a system if they are adjustable
I will email Carl. Thanks.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
And it you want, I have a stock front and rear anti sway bar. A new rear is about $185 so a used stock bar isnt worth much, $50 each?? The most expensive part is likely shipping

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
These cars are faster without the rear sway bar. I disconnected my adjustable completely 2-3 years ago.
We did it to brother's racer at the advice of a pro racer buddy sharing car at event and verified it with the lap times. Same pro driver drove mine and made same suggestion on a long road tour/event weekend. So i did and its more 'hooked up', less twitchy coming out of corners. They like to roll.

But, you have to look at the total sum of ALL your bits....