UK CSiL different parts to CSi?

pat cooks

Reaction score
My CSiL city pack 1972-3 has been bastardised over the years with a comfort interior etc. and I want to return it to stock, I have the original to the car scheel seats and 4 speed box but am unsure about other parts like door trim panels, were they different? any other parts that may have been changed when these cars were only worth the price of a good night out?

same for the engine, is it just the cylinder bore that is different? I always assumed it was but what do I know!
Pat

damienh

Reaction score
I think from memory the door card pattern changed over time, rather than being different for different models. Hopefully yours are intact as these are hard to come across in usable condition, if they look about right I would guess they are original.

Simufly

Reaction score
My CSiL city pack 1972-3 has been bastardised over the years with a comfort interior etc. and I want to return it to stock, I have the original to the car scheel seats and 4 speed box but am unsure about other parts like door trim panels, were they different? any other parts that may have been changed when these cars were only worth the price of a good night out?

same for the engine, is it just the cylinder bore that is different? I always assumed it was but what do I know!
Pat
You mention that you want to return the car to factory spec, however it it has a five speed box, I personally would keep it. I was offered a five speed box and conversion by Jaymic many years ago, after much consideration I went for keeping the e9 stock and had the conversion done to my 77 Si. It made a huge difference to the Si and I regret not javing the e9 done instead.
As far as I know the interior trim panels are the same on the CSi and CSl. Some early cars have manual front windows.

Wladek

Reaction score

Pat
CSL had black door panels like on photo & same trims like CS/CSI as Simufly wrote before.
Wikipedia: "The five hundred 3.0 CSLs exported to the United Kingdom were not quite as light as the others, as the importer had insisted on retaining the soundproofing, electric windows, and stock E9 bumpers on these cars"
In my opinion also early injected CSL versions had the same engine as in CSI. Not sure, but i think that slightly bigger bore was used only in early carburated CSL versions (for race engine qualifications min.3000cm3), later injected CSL versions had 3.2 engine. It's only my theory, so i might be wrong, because never had CSL:confused:
bmw_e9_door_panel_right.jpg

Last edited:

pat cooks

Reaction score
I full agree regarding the 5 speed to make the car a far better driver (I converted it last time I owned it) but at the moment I am thinking I will probably restore the CSiL to stock and sell it after a couple of years unless I get to use it more than I think I will, too many toys.....I don't think a 4 speed will hurt it's value bearing in mind the people who generally buy fully restored ones! they don't buy them to drive! I would put the 5 speed into my 71 CS and probably the 3.5 engine together with a spare Djet system, those carbs are a pain and with no set standard specific gravity for modern fuel you can never get the float level correct for more than a day..... unless I find another 5 speed box.... Pat

Mal CSL 3.0

Site Donor
Reaction score
I full agree regarding the 5 speed to make the car a far better driver (I converted it last time I owned it) but at the moment I am thinking I will probably restore the CSiL to stock and sell it after a couple of years unless I get to use it more than I think I will, too many toys.....I don't think a 4 speed will hurt it's value bearing in mind the people who generally buy fully restored ones! they don't buy them to drive! I would put the 5 speed into my 71 CS and probably the 3.5 engine together with a spare Djet system, those carbs are a pain and with no set standard specific gravity for modern fuel you can never get the float level correct for more than a day..... unless I find another 5 speed box.... Pat

The 4 speed gearbox in my CSL is awesome. Perfectly matched to the car. All ratios are ideal and 4th is perfect for highway driving - just the right ratio and does not over rev. I wouldnt want a 5 speed. (Only good though for the German autobahns with no speed limits)
PS got your pm Pat so will take some photos soon.

Reaction score
On the subject of originality does the door card of the 3.0 CSL city pack come with a map pocket? I am having the same problem as Pat having owned the 3.0 CSL for 22 years and not bothering about originality . Over the years I have allowed my mechanic to "solve " all problems in the most convenient way and as a result it has become a bit of a mixed bag of BMWs

Carol

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Many thanks Kehav

Any time Carol. I have a Csl so feel free to ask any and everything regarding your car. @daddywad and @sandhu both in the UK with plenty of Csl knowledge on RHD cars and are great guys to guide you too.

How about some detailed pics of your car. Based on the pics we will surely notice irregularities, which we are real good at doing and pointing out :)

Cheers
Keshav
Ps. Regarding the Scheel seats. We can put you onto a member that has the exclusive Scheel cloth and vinyl for a complete recovering of all the seats, front and back, if you wish.
What kind of steering wheel do u have in there?

Last edited:

pat cooks

Reaction score
Finally picked up my CSil today, 7 months after buying it! only managed to clear enough space in my shed this morning, after it had sat for about 18 months unused I only needed to swop the battery and away it went, now having second thoughts about returning it to taiga from it's current fijord, there is nothing wrong with the current paint job and I do like fijord so I think I will return the interior to correct CSil spec, sort out the brake servos and leave it at that for now,

pat cooks

Reaction score
who is the go to guy for scheel restoration (UK) or just the materials as I neeed to retrim all my seats, B trim are local to me if I can get the material,

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Pat,
The person to contact is Gerrit Blankmann, forum member located in Germany. He should be able to help with the Scheel cloth and vinyl. Write him with your requirements at [email protected]

Cheers
Keshav