CS Register Grill Badge - All gone???

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all,

I’m starting this new thread to re-initiate the Grill Badge order. As you are probably aware, Steve O’neill (oneills) was organizing this previously. Steve has graciously allowed me to run with this, and I have found a quality source that has a lower minimum order. Given the current interest level, we should be able to make this a go!

Steve has sent his previous order list to me, and I will reach out to everyone on the list to confirm your order. I am going to attempt to work within this thread, so if you want a badge (or several), make that clear in a post here. I will still confirm with a PM and get address info, etc.

These badges are (imho) very nice quality. The overall weight and quality of the piece is stunning (as I’ve reviewed through samples of badges from a few different companies in my search to find a good option for us). There is a slight curvature to the piece, similar to some vintage badges I have in my collection. The metal work, enamel work, and detail will be quite an item to adorn your coupe grill or collection. AS my wife refers to badges: car jewelry.

This badge design will follow closely the original design that Art Wegweiser. Here is a picture of HB Chris’s badge for reference.
HB Chris grill badge pic.jpeg
I am hoping to set the cost for each badge, including shipping to the continental US at somewhere between $46 to $49. I will firm this up once I know how many badges our order comprises. If you are outside of the lower 48, let me know and I can find out what shipping will be for your location.

I am very excited to help put this order together, and look forward to seeing these badges on your coupes! Let me know how many you want. :D

Thank you,
Stephen (autokunst)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I should add that the vendor for these new badges refers to the process as "Full Cloisonne". I mentioned "enamel" above, but wanted to clarify. I know there have been discussions on the origin and detail of Cloisonne, and I don't know that I am qualified to speak to the history. But I can tell you that the sample badges I reviewed ranged from very nice to "meh". Ours will be the "very nice" category. :)

Philippe db

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken this already was brought up.

Why not make a CS register badge without "USA"?

Not that I have anything against the USA but look at the members here on this forum, located all over the planet.

If it would be possible to just make an international "CS Register" badge I'm confident we wouldn't have trouble reaching the minimum production number.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree with Philippe:)
Maybe they can make part with "USA" and part without with one order?

If I'm not mistaken this already was brought up.

Why not make a CS register badge without "USA"?

Not that I have anything against the USA but look at the members here on this forum, located all over the planet.

If it would be possible to just make an international "CS Register" badge I'm confident we wouldn't have trouble reaching the minimum production number.

Hello @Wladek and @Philippe db, I am slow to reply, because I believe this has been discussed and I am hoping others that were part of that conversation chime in. That said, I agree with you. One thing that strikes me about this forum is that it is so international. I often remark how I chatted with friends in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, as well as around North America. Heck, we still have a member on the International Space Station, right? And we are all here because of a German car - which seems to connect a dot between the US and Europe at the very least...

I believe a subset of this group has strong origins in the paper based US CS group - and I respect that. But it seems to me (a relatively new forum member) that the group today stretches far beyond the US. And that is pretty cool! :cool:

I look forward to some more input on this, but I am on board with editing the artwork to reflect our international membership. Looking forward to seeing where this goes, as I also don't want to alienate some folks that have stronger roots than I in the original US forum. And I'd really like to come to consensus soon so we can place this order and love our new grill badges.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen you make a great point. As this will be the third iteration of this venerable badge perhaps it should say International instead of USA. And this gives anyone with an original first or second version badge a reason to order a new one as well. Thoughts?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stephen,
I'll order one either way, it's not that important to me.
If I'm not wrong, I think I've earlier asked about the possibility to have it say international instead of USA considering what has already been pointed out in this thread, and if it really is an option I think it would be great!
At the same time I understand and respect if there are people thinking otherwise.

Thanks for organizing this!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not trying to make this that difficult. As such, I chose not to read the full doc you just posted. o_O

I’ll take one, however it ends up.

On a plane, so I read Markos’ doc. Summary: C-Pillar based design, 1990s int’l comm problems, BMW approves, Murphy’s law strikes production, finally received, and happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OKilligan

Reaction score
I’m in for one as well, I vote for the international version, even if not so I have one anyway.

This message was sent by my Commodore 64

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just want to say WOW! I feel there has already been an overwhelming response to this new, universal badge. I am very much enjoying the fact that this group reaches and includes all corners of the world (and beyond). I am currently working on the revised artwork - maintaining the style, detail, and intent of the original while encompassing the greater reach of our forum. As the posters above know, as soon as I see your request for badge(s), I send a PM to continue the conversation. We're already making good ground on quantity, and I haven't rolled Steve's original list in yet. Feeling reasonably optimistic. Thank you - keep those orders coming. :D