Engine Coolant Pipe ?

jeme9

Reaction score
Hi, what do people do to replace the pipe under the inlet manifold ?
Is there a source for replacement, or are others making or using an alternative (hose and Tee's or modify hoses from later M30's ? thanks

PS here are two of mine, both rusty

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_17d5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_17d5.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 200

Honolulu

Reaction score
Ceramic coat them?

Doesn't look like it would be overly difficult to replicate in copper or...

I suppose you've inquired at the "usual places"?

stphers

Reaction score
you can easily repair these and then after glass beading and powder coating, they will look great. From Eastwood, get some stuff called metal lab, it is like a bondo sort of material but can withstand the high temps of powder coating. Once dried , you can sand it down to smooth. Glass bead the parts first to show up anywhere it needs to be repaired as well as prepping for powder coating. I just did a couple of pipes for a fellow building a 2002 tii engine and they came out great. Both pipes were worst than what you have here.

Thanks, Rick

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this should work on the L jet motor as well. the downside is that its $250, the good news is that Mario had it made so you know its a high quality product.
i might reconsider the hose scenario that i was about to do and get the basic hoses for the water pipe and buy this pipe ... just because it looks cool and shiny.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I considered making one but instead I just bought a replacement from Jaymic in the UK. Has been fitted for a three years and all ok so far. It was not expensive.

jeme9

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for the suggestions, the SS VRS ones look great and Simons offer for the NOS part however as I am in Australia, freight will make them to expensive. I will look at the rubber hose and "T" options, but first I will have a closer look to see if i can salvage one and get it coated, thanks.

jeme9

Reaction score
I just realised, using later model hose (and T) I don't get the ability to connect water to the air slide ! So looks like back to salvage or fabricate.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn’t there an oem bypass setup used on the 635csi’s, and typically part of a Weber DCOE conversion? Would that part work? Or are those parts now NLA?

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
D08FFD27-B641-4CB1-88B9-8669FAD1F16A.jpeg
you can easily repair these and then after glass beading and powder coating, they will look great. From Eastwood, get some stuff called metal lab, it is like a bondo sort of material but can withstand the high temps of powder coating. Once dried , you can sand it down to smooth. Glass bead the parts first to show up anywhere it needs to be repaired as well as prepping for powder coating. I just did a couple of pipes for a fellow building a 2002 tii engine and they came out great. Both pipes were worst than what you have here.

Thanks, Rick

Rick has a good suggestion- I braze mine and then powdercoat...