Does anyone Chrome their windshield wipers?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My windshield wipers are very dull. I'd love to make them shiny chrome, but my shop is uncertain how. Any thoughts?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
think about the glare coming off of bright chrome ... that's why BMW stopped doing it. so why does your coupe have satin stainless? '74's had black wipers ... and the mounting is different for the 74

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score
My windshield wipers are very dull. I'd love to make them shiny chrome, but my shop is uncertain how. Any thoughts?

I would suggest that you bring tap water to boil, lets say a liter, put two tablespoons of salt, crumble up a piece of aluminum kitchen foil and dip your wiper arms one at a time. Leave for a while, they should come out cleaner and shinier than before without having to scrub.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would suggest that you bring tap water to boil, lets say a liter, put two tablespoons of salt, crumble up a piece of aluminum kitchen foil and dip your wiper arms one at a time. Leave for a while, they should come out cleaner and shinier than before without having to scrub.
I don’t understand what you do with the aluminum kitchen foil?

Dohn

Reaction score

A bit risky asking that question, but you put the foil in the water, then immerse your wiper arms. Part of the chemical reaction that shines them. By the way, '74s did come with black wiper arms, but if you like the silver, stay with it!

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
If they are silver, not black, aren't they stainless steel? therefore buff not chrome

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are at least (3) different types of wipers that I know of: chrome over ferrous metal, stainless steel, and painted (black) over ferrous metal. If they are "silver", they could be chrome or SS, which has a more satin silver finish.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The problem with stainless and black wipers is the pivot/base is pot metal and is difficult to polish if they aren’t in great shape. OCCoupe was successful with his stainless ones however. The black ones mount with a nut on the pivot, earlier slip over the grooved splines.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The problem with stainless and black wipers is the pivot/base is pot metal and is difficult to polish if they aren’t in great shape. OCCoupe was successful with his stainless ones however. The black ones mount with a nut on the pivot, earlier slip over the grooved splines.
Jill Claybrook and the Posse Feds wrote rules years ago on how bright chrome could be. In the 50s and 60s and beyond it really was a blinding safety issue.

lloyd

Reaction score
think about the glare coming off of bright chrome ... that's why BMW stopped doing it. so why does your coupe have satin stainless? '74's had black wipers ... and the mounting is different for the 74

I recently examined two satin stainless wiper arms, both of which were marked "Made in England." Per HBChris' observation (below), these arms were used on a Type 114 and are similar to the arms found on E3 and E9 windshields, other than dimensional differences. Whether the arm pictured is a replacement or original equipment is unknown. (I believe I have seen similar markings on a (longer) E3 wiper arm. Have not had the opportunity to explore what's underneath the E9 versions.)

wiper arm (1).jpg wiper arm (2).jpg

Some wiper operation seems almost as slow as some electric windows. A design characteristic that deters use, especially in inclement weather? o_O

Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
THE REASON THERE NOT IS IS WOULD BE A SEVERE HAZRD TO SEE THE SUN REFLECING IN YOUR EYES WHEN EVER IT WANTED

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
THE REASON THERE NOT IS IS WOULD BE A SEVERE HAZRD TO SEE THE SUN REFLECING IN YOUR EYES WHEN EVER IT WANTED

When this happens in Seattle we just need to silently complain to ourselves. Publicly complaining about the sun is a social taboo.

Bill 74 3.0 CS

Reaction score

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply letter. You place the aluminum foil in the boiled water and the mixed salt, place the wiper arm in the contents until you realize that the surface it shinier or cleaner, or until the water cools. Repeat the process a few time for best results.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello,

Sorry for my late reply letter. You place the aluminum foil in the boiled water and the mixed salt, place the wiper arm in the contents until you realize that the surface it shinier or cleaner, or until the water cools. Repeat the process a few time for best results.
How much aluminum foil and salt do I use?