Tyre choices

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I need a set of boots for my new Alpina wheels, currently being refurbed. Choices appear to be Dunlop sport classic, Michelin XWX, Pirelli Cinturato CN36. All of these options are in the ~£250 range.
There's also the Vredestein Sprint classic, which is a bit cheaper at £180 a corner

There are also many other budget options available, but I think these are not for me. Looking for opinions on the Dunlop vs Michelin vs Pirelli vs Vredestein choice

All at 205/70/14

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have driven 5000+ miles on my Cinturatos, occasionally through torrential rain, and they are fantastic handling (and looking) tires. I'd buy them again without hesistation.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have driven 5000+ miles on my Cinturatos, occasionally through torrential rain, and they are fantastic handling (and looking) tires. I'd buy them again without hesistation.

Will you PLEASE buy me a set also?!!! :D I think they are the sexiest 14" tire one can buy.

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fine fine fine, I'm going to need a mortgage anyway, more the merrier! Anyone else?

Thanks for input
:)

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
blockley tyres, 205 70 R14 , 95V

an UK company

20180212_092104.jpg
f.jpg

IMG_20160803_115258.jpg
IMG_20160803_115708.jpg
IMG_20160808_175524.jpg

excellent tyres

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

I am curious to know more about these tyres
pirelli is not making those cinturatos by themselves
pirelli has been unable to tell anything about them, (i contacted a pirelli branded shop that contacted pirelli in italy)
the one and only provider of these is longstone in the UK that is then suppliyin other people in countries like the US and germany for example
there is not a supplier in spain so far
weird,...
who owns the tool ? who produces them ?,....
in any case, i believe that like what happens with oils, any actual tyre is better than best tyres in the 70-ies

Lowell Paddock

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have XWXs on my ‘74. I love them — good handling, great ride, quiet and fantastic, beefy proportions. They are not cheap, however.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
DQ, the blockeys look great. I would have mounted them inside the blue cellophane wrap so they last longer...
The mistery of who makes the Cinturatos is explained very well by The Onion: Jakarta.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
pirelli has been unable to tell anything about them, (i contacted a pirelli branded shop that contacted pirelli in italy)
the one and only provider of these is longstone in the UK that is then suppliyin other people in countries like the US and germany for example
there are some other suppliers that i have found selling the CN-36 tires, but Longstone is the most affordable

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
there is not a supplier in spain so far
weird,...
who owns the tool ? who produces them ?,....
in any case, i believe that like what happens with oils, any actual tyre is better than best tyres in the 70-ies

Not sure who you talked to at Pirelli but they have a page dedicated to their classic tire offerings.
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/car/collection

I suspect that this site is owned by Longstone but the domain is obscured by a registration company.
https://www.cinturato.net/