best head light set-up?!

shanon

Reaction score
Gruppe,

Curious what others have done to get brighter head lights aside from adding additional 'aux/rally lights' (already got those)?

Was out on Hwy 1 in Norcal where I couldn't use my big guns because of on coming traffic, my 'stock' lights even with all four on were ....inadequate... in oncoming traffic and cliff hanger boonies..

So what you got/running?!
Should I just put in some crazy LEDs like the Trucks/SUVs/euro sedans and say up yours too to those who don't dim their high beams on country/coastal backroads...? It's truly annoying and sketchy...

I have modern wiring and hardware and can handle just about any upgrade....open to suggestions/advice.

TIA
-shanon

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I assume you have the euro headlights (Hella or Cibie) and not the sealed beams. My Hellas illuminate the road better and brighter than the more modern cars I have. It helped to use Terri's gadget for leveling and aligning them, and also found that the bulb color choices matter, at least for Sylvania.

Still puzzled by fog lights in other cars I own, I do not see much of a difference when I turn them on.

People that do not dim high beams? It does not happen where I live, or I am the one.

Attachments

• IMG_1946.JPG
    IMG_1946.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 139

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Direct wire from battery to relay to bulbs.

Osram/Philips H1 55w precision-focus, ultra
high luminance bulbs

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A.jpg
f.jpg
all h1's
adapt mount to fit notches
thay are dead flat
look the cleanest
put 100 watt bulbs
ok u got me!

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Thx guys for inputs, exploring options.

Hey alan! Im blowin thru east bay/lamorinda this weekend, but not in coupe tho...
curious if you're around tomorrow for a looksie of your set-up
Send me a pm and maybe paths can cross?!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shanon- I do have Markos’s new 3 d printed relay blocks, Dave Barton’s headlight plugs, .312 flag terminals in the shop in Alameda. I’ll be there most of the day.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Shanon- I do have Markos’s new 3 d printed relay blocks, Dave Barton’s headlight plugs, .312 flag terminals in the shop in Alameda. I’ll be there most of the day.

Jealous! I only have his relay blocks, hot off the press...

9942838C-1FAF-430F-85AB-26D466198135.jpeg

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
I fitted Cibie CSR lights, which are stock looking 5 3/4" lights, but with 21st century reflector optics inside. There's no shield for the bulb so the beam pattern and cut-off is all done by the reflector, means all of the light from the bulb comes out the lens

Plus lo beam relays and 6mm wiring direct from battery

I often go for a late evening blast, as the roads are quieter. Helps to be able to see....

shanon

Reaction score
SFDon, PM me with phone number, may be able to swing thru later today after morning stuff.

Thx!

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The math that matters....

10.5V : 510 lumens
11.0V : 597 lumens
11.5V : 695 lumens
12.0V : 803 lumens
12.5V : 923 lumens
12.8V : 1000 lumens ←Rated output voltage
13.0V : 1054 lumens
13.5V : 1198 lumens
14.0V : 1356 lumens ←Rated life voltage
14.5V : 1528 lumens

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yep ... the rewiring to get power direct to the lights without going through the light switch is a great modification. that will get you the correct voltage at the light. this has been discussed in other threads that you want to use the H1 low beam lamps and high beam lamps ... just different optics. the H4 low beams aren't that good