Trunk venting

ElRey

Site Donor
Reaction score
Howdy folks,
I cut out my rear deck and built a lightweight speaker box (1/8 plywood reinforced w/ honeycomb fiberglass) that effectively seals the trunk from the passenger compartment. My question is: how is the trunk normally supposed to vent when one slams the trunk lid? there seems to be some vent holes at the base of the rear window, but I don't think they connect to the trunk. The passenger compartment vents through the side 'medallions' I believe...
-Thanks,
Kingman

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Isn't there a route is through the vents on the side? From the trunk sides i think you can get into the rear quarter panel area, from above the wheel well, and stick something all the way up to the rear windows space.

There are also a few small openings in the vertical panel behind the backrest. These are pressed out to make tabs that hold the fibrebord trunk lining. But they are small in size. Also there is the light fixture which isn't airtight.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A520F met Tapatalk

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I seriously doubt the trunk is anywhere close to being air tight. I suggest not slamming it shut, instead just push it down to the lock lever then give it a firm push.

Reactions: Wes

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
At the front of the parcel shelf, above the wheel arches there are small openings on each side. Wiring is run through these openings on both sides and the tube for the gas tank vent runs on the right side as well.