BAT New M30-Powered 1972 BMW 3.0CS 5-Speed now live at BaT Auctions

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does this mean the automatics have a 225 and the manuals have 224 starting their VIN ? My '73 started as an Auto and has 225 VIN #.

Yes, but for US/NA market 3.0CS only. 2800CS is 227xxxx and 228xxxx respectively. The Rest of World (ROW) also separate manual from auto.

http://e9-driven.com/E9_Vins.asp

GBE9

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great to be back! Been Super sick so what did I miss? Checked this car out on bat and its not getting much love. Any troubling reason(s) why?

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Great to be back! Been Super sick so what did I miss? Checked this car out on bat and its not getting much love. Any troubling reason(s) why?

Did you not read the above discussion or links from previous discussion?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
they probably read the comments here and took it down. strange though, the entire website is gone missing, not just this auction

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sold for $32,000, a condition #4 coupe I think. If it’s a nice driver the buyer should be happy for now but it will need work down the line.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, I think $32k is a very fair price.

$34k w/fees. Still good. Of course, w/o seeing it in person, ya never know, but it's not 2011 anymore and E9 prices have gone up.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sold for $32,000, a condition #4 coupe I think. If it’s a nice driver the buyer should be happy for now but it will need work down the line.

Agreed. Just don’t open Pandora’s box and all is well! Maybe cover that fender hole with one of those factory stickers. :D

When first bought my house there was a US Ski
team sticker at the top right corner of the master bathroom door. Inside the bathroom. I of course
removed it. Pandora’s box...

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Interesting comment (from the dark blue/red BAT car for sale) from the seller regarding this silver car:

Jan 22 at 2:30 AM
Vladimir 1,037
The buyer of the Silver 3.3 now wants to force us to sign a bill if sale if California that include all term he beleive protect him, including all kind of warranties, other wise he will not honor or pay for the car, I advise all seller and buyers to please have all clear before the auction is close.

Jan 22 at 2:27 AM
Vladimir 1,037
It is important to mention, that this sale is in, ” As Is Condition” car will be sold with a Florida clean tittle, that we have on hand, using a simple bill of sale form, that meets Florida regulation for dealers, we can not and will not express any warraty, other that what has been express here, the potencial buyers, have the option to do a inside inspection by him or a hire a profecional, we will make the car available, including the use of our lift, why do I make this comment? Because beleive it or not, still people that after winning an auction, want to use there own bill of sale, there own terms, including warraty for the miles, warraty for the running condition and mecanical condition of a car, plus many more details, if any body here beleive on that, please make sure to contact the seller before you bit or get the car, that way we all save time and money.

mr bump

Reaction score
Okay, I have a question, which by nature of articulating it will reveal some items I "see" in these pics. But it is all just for my own edification. Really. :)
The car is listed as a 1972. The bumpers appear correct for a '72 (I think - specifically the brackets, over riders, and license plate lights). The seats appear to be '74+, which is fine - they may have been changed or re-covered. No big deal. But here's the question: The VIN is a higher number than my '73. Did the VIN numbers run sequentially? Or did they skip around? If sequential, could this actually be a '74 with a Euro bumper conversion? I am not suggesting that is the case - just trying to learn about the VIN details that BMW used.
Will you give it a rest and stop shooting other people's pride and joys down!! If you were out shopping, and a bloke started pointing out your beer belly, big nose, massive ears and goofy teeth, and a face that only a mother could love AFTER feeding you with a catapult, how would that make you feel! Just let it be what it is and basicly just stop tearing things apart, it does not make you look a better person, makes you look quiet bitter.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Who's bitter:rolleyes:
Mr. Bump, respectfully, I can't find a scintilla of Bitterness in Autokunst's question. Nor can a find a scintilla(can you tell I like this word even though I don't know if I spelled it correctly) of criticism, unwarranted attacks or any thing else one could define as negative.
He simply wants to learn about BMW's VIN numbering system and whether the seller has modified(ie, delicate chrome bumpers we all love replacing the ugly picnic tables) the car. Or perhaps someone did the mods earlier and said seller has no idea.

Off Topic: I am deep into the newest biography of Winston Churchill. The Great War is over, the second go around is just beginning.
What you blokes went through during the first half of the 20th Century is beyond words. But fortunately you had Winston to lead you to victory. He is the GIANT of the 20th Century eclipsing all others. And I do mean all!!!

Refer to my post above. And note: A question is NOT a criticism. As for my Footnote about Churchill that should have been in PM to Gransin. Our resident Finland e9er.

Last edited:

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Good eye. Let’s keep this quiet in the bat comments to see once and for all if bat indeed shill bids. Won’t be surprised if the car reaches 30 or 35k with two or three days left.

So I get the BAT emails everyday but I am restoring a 72 3.0CS and BAT is a horrible time suck! I see cars that interest me and mark them to watch and may look at the photos but try to stay out of the comments.
I tend to trust people and am a little naive but this?
You think BAT or someone for BAT is bumping the prices and how can you tell? That is so illegal it would shut them down.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My old 1971 (should be a 1970 since delivered in 2-70) has a VIN starting with 227.

Can't go by the first 3 digits.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Will you give it a rest and stop shooting other people's pride and joys down!! If you were out shopping, and a bloke started pointing out your beer belly, big nose, massive ears and goofy teeth, and a face that only a mother could love AFTER feeding you with a catapult, how would that make you feel! Just let it be what it is and basicly just stop tearing things apart, it does not make you look a better person, makes you look quiet bitter.
Wow. A better man than I would not bother to reply, but I must. Mr Bump, I respectfully suggest your attack is way out of line. I was merely asking a question about the VIN system of our fine cars, which a few respected members answered. I learned something new. I've learned that the numbers are not merely a 7-digit sequential track. Rather, the first few numbers suggest model specific data. Where does that make me bitter? Because I am eager to learn, and share my reasoning for the question??? I'd suggest you re-read my words and get where I'm coming from.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow. A better man than I would not bother to reply, but I must. Mr Bump, I respectfully suggest your attack is way out of line. I was merely asking a question about the VIN system of our fine cars, which a few respected members answered. I learned something new. I've learned that the numbers are not merely a 7-digit sequential track. Rather, the first few numbers suggest model specific data. Where does that make me bitter? Because I am eager to learn, and share my reasoning for the question??? I'd suggest you re-read my words and get where I'm coming from.
Gransin, if you read my post above you will see a mention of Winston Churchill. Finland figures large in the runup to the war. You were and still are in a tight place in the ever-changing map of Europe. At least that's the way I read it.