If you die, what happens to your cars and/or parts?

Bwana

Reaction score
The wife and I were sitting around the breakfast table one lazy Sunday morning.

I said to her, "If I were to die suddenly, I want you to immediately sell all my stuff.”

"Now why would you want me to do something like that?" she asked.

"I figure that you would eventually remarry and I don't want some other asshole using my stuff."

She looked at me and said: "what makes you think I'd marry another asshole?"

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
I kinda suspect, many of our spouses are quite up-to-date with the value of all that we have managed to hoard throughout our lifetimes. I would wager, quite a few know exactly what they would do with the "riches" they could realize from moving all that
car ****. Plus they would get that garage back or the barn could be used for horses again. So, an absence of a plan on our part, may still mean the cars and parts have a destiny! :cool:

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting topic. Does something only have "value" when one is alive to appreciate it? Or do objects carry an inherited value?

Maybe one way to think about it is to consider how you would deal with your wife's belongings in an alternative life....err, death situation. If you really don't care about the KitchenAid collection then there's a fair chance she won't care about the SnapOn collection.
However, if you do and she does; well there are some questions to ask.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Used SnapOn/Mac stuff has more market value than used kitchen stuff. And I’ll bet most of us have many times more market value in used tools than our spouses do in kitchen appliances.

But, when I compare my car junk to the jewelry ... now I AM becoming very interested in my wife’s stuff.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have spoken about this a couple of times with my wife ... especially after a life changing event in 2017. mine is easy - 3 primary things of value - wine / cars / tools. 1st, listen to the immortal words of john belushi in animal house - drink heavily, she could drink great wine for the rest of her life and my son could sell whatever was left over. 2. call a few friends on the forum that she has met and create a plan to sell the coupe. 3. tools - who cares ... i'm not there.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan, it depends on how much we drink before i go ... there is a lot of wine you never know, the coupe could be sold with a trunk full of wine.

G

Reaction score
This topic reminds me of a story I once heard. A gentleman who had a very expensive collection of wood working hand tools and such had passed away. When a friend of the deceased had asked his former friends widow where all the tools had gone ? She said she sold them. When she told him the price she sold the tools for, He asked why in the world would you sell the tools for 10% of the value ? She said I sold them at the price my husband said he paid for them !!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This topic reminds me of a story I once heard. A gentleman who had a very expensive collection of wood working hand tools and such had passed away. When a friend of the deceased had asked his former friends widow where all the tools had gone ? She said she sold them. When she told him the price she sold the tools for, He asked why in the world would you sell the tools for 10% of the value ? She said I sold them at the price my husband said he paid for them !!
That sounds like a slippery slope.

This thread has invigorated me to more thoroughly document all of the parts I've been collecting for the restoration. My wife, a CPA by trade and a real expert with excel is helping me set up a database of the parts. We'll have columns for the part description, part number if applicable, quantity, what I paid for the part(s), whether the part is on the car, going to be on the car, or redundant/spare, etc. Then we'll use the pivot table function to sort these things. I am extremely curious (and a bit nervous) about what I'll learn once this is all documented.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i've been keeping up with everything going onto my coupe with excel. qty / part number / pricing ... grouped into systems. i have also been putting a list of bolt sizes / quantities for all the areas i can get the information for ... buying several hundred bucks worth of bolts / nuts / screws / washers from belmetric.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd love to see your bolt list Scott. I know when I send a mass jumble out to be Cad plated, I will never figure out what went where.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bob,

one minor problem is that a bunch of the bolts were already grouped with the parts to install ... so they aren't on the list yet. another thing is that my list is geared for my car - that is, my car has a b34 engine and a lot of the components that go onto the engine are being updated.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd love to see your bolt list Scott. I know when I send a mass jumble out to be Cad plated, I will never figure out what went where.

it has helped me to group them, describe them, measure them & picture them prior to plating.
Also helps to identify if one went 'Missing In Action' at the plating shop; a common occurrence.

You'll save time in the end. From the above info to partnumber is easy via the partsbooks; helpful when ordering a replacement.

Attachments

• 20180525_161838.jpg
    20180525_161838.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 134

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it has helped me to group them, describe them, measure them & picture them prior to plating.
Also helps to identify if one went 'Missing In Action' at the plating shop; a common occurrence.

You'll save time in the end. From the above info to partnumber is easy via the partsbooks; helpful when ordering a replacement.
I love the warning on the disk sander. Don't grind here or else you'll get some material in your skeleton face. :)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

your method is a good one, Erik. for instance, the original parts catalog notes that the nuts for the rear swing arm are std m12 nuts as you show. the current parts catalog / real oem lists it as a self locking nut. the thread is 1.5 (fine thread). my list is all about using new bolts / fasteners - ordering, then knowing where they go

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ohh, I thought is was don't grind pirates here - do it on the other side. Silly me.
It's the hint for our 5 years old that can't yet read. I let them play in the garage when I'm there, and try to teach them stuff. Hammers and nails, a wood file and a fine tooth saw is all they cared for at first. Then they start to show interest for "the machine that gnaws wood" They like grinding pieces of wood smooth and then make drawings on them....