Non AC heater removal

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've finally got my dash out, a big relief.
I still need to pull some of the heater assembly, notably the section that protrudes through the fire wall, see below.

IMG_4250.jpg

I've removed 4 large nuts under the dash that appear to hold the main heater assembly in place but it doesn't want to budge. It looks to me like there is a metal strip holding it in place along with some type of foam gasket.

Help..

axco

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had the same issue. It's just the foam gasket which holds the heater box in place and you don't want to use force since the box is plastic. I soaked the area around the box with Goo-off and that soften up the gasket enough to remove the heater box.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I had the same issue. It's just the foam gasket which holds the heater box in place and you don't want to use force since the box is plastic. I soaked the area around the box with Goo-off and that soften up the gasket enough to remove the heater box.

So it should come away after you remove the 4 x 13mm bolts under the dash?
Can't say I know 'Goo-off' will go find some.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well you could always use piano wire. I just gently pried mine off with no soaking. Mine was just an ordinary CSI heater box, not the CSL heater box within ultra-thin plastic. ;) :D

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well you could always use piano wire. I just gently pried mine off with no soaking. Mine was just an ordinary CSI heater box, not the CSL heater box within ultra-thin plastic. ;) :D

How did you use piano wire? There's almost no room to get around the bloody thing. I'll try getting some WD40 in from the top and bottom and see what happens. I suspect using a heat gun may also help. Guess it's jus another one of those pigs of jobs that take a lot of patience?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
How did you use piano wire? There's almost no room to get around the bloody thing. I'll try getting some WD40 in from the top and bottom and see what happens. I suspect using a heat gun may also help. Guess it's jus another one of those pigs of jobs that take a lot of patience?

I was just spitballing. I didn't use piano wire. I used a screwdriver and reckless abandon I guess. The heater box faired well.

DCE88E5C-B658-4A11-90CB-94030781263B.jpeg
37D4E039-772B-48A0-A107-2C73988C51C2.jpeg

Rek

Reaction score
It is a tight fit getting it out and in. The four bolts are all that are solid in the fixings. The front where it joins the bulkhead can be softened by fluid or by gentle heat from the front.

I would suggest you practice this by wrestling a few octopus's to get your technique tuned.