Scheel seat question

Tyler

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm having the seats recovered on my CSL, both the fabric and vinyl sections. My question is the stitching of the vinyl on the front seats vs. the rear seats. I believe the rear seats originally had French stitching for the main seams (first picture). My question is which stitching was originally used for the front seams - a single stitch (middle picture) or the French stitch like the rear (bottom picture). The CSL brochure (picture 1) appears to show single stitching.

Thanks!
Tyler

Attachments

• Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Front 1.jpg
    Front 1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Front 2.jpg
    Front 2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 271

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Tyler,
Pic#2 is definitely correct but for rest assurance you could contact @Gerrit who is the reference on Scheel seats/ cloth matters.
Keshav

upload_2019-3-17_21-34-42.jpeg

22F7BDEF-ABA7-4E5F-9312-335CA69D8D50.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fixed your autocorrect title...

I have been researching Scheel’s quite a bit lately. The thing I quickly learned is that the seats found in restored CSL’s are all over the board. I don’t have an answer but I would advise that you get a consensus before executing on an upholstery job.

Here is a pic of the second edition CSL brochure, still a carb CSL.
35D5DD04-F3CF-4C33-8460-EC8EE00D302A.jpeg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm having the seats recovered on my CSL, both the fabric and vinyl sections. My question is the stitching of the vinyl on the front seats vs. the rear seats. I believe the rear seats originally had French stitching for the main seams (first picture). My question is which stitching was originally used for the front seams - a single stitch (middle picture) or the French stitch like the rear (bottom picture). The CSL brochure (picture 1) appears to show single stitching.

Thanks!
Tyler

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/a-scheel-tale.22688/

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I can dig out some pics of mine if it helps?
The car has been in a barn for 33 years so it's all original.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You know I'm a lawyer right :)
You can never have too much proof..

Sure, send some pics to further enhance the proof! But you also know that some opponents will never accept all the proof laid out either.....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sure, send some pics to further enhance the proof! But you also know that some opponents will never accept all the proof laid out either.....

I totally agree with your sentiment. I like to use the preponderance of visual evidence approach. As mentioned I searched through google images looking at CSL examples. I equate the variation to lack of attention to detail, not factory inconsistencies.

The second generation CSL brochure is still dealing with very early carbed CSL’s. They have parts like the steering wheel and map light (note with a black push button) that didn’t make their way onto most or all injected CSL’s. I know this is all old news to you @Keshav, I’m addressing the topic not your particular response.

Some interesting variation shown here, although there is nothing to indicate that this variation is factory introduced either.
http://www.lezebre.eu/car/bmw 30 csl/technical_characteristics/technical_scheel_seat_ bmw 30 csl.htm

Also per @Gerrit
“There were 2 types of 100 seat frames, normal and wide, the wide having one inch more of „Elbow room“ and lower bolsters, mostly found on RHD CSLs.”

Most of the variation I have noted so far is on the lower bolster length, the lower foam length, the seam, and the shape of the shoulder. I know of three Scheels for sale at the moment but I didn’t pull the trigger because none of them matched each other. It is a common problem that I keep encountering over and over.