Bennyz Rod Shop Restoration

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Regarding your question about the rear window large rubber and the gap. There are drains in the bottom of the panel that should be kept clean, Stevehose has a thread about the drains found here...https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/check-your-rocker-panel-drain-holes.25566/

Don't use a hose to wash your car, I prefer a 3 gallon pressurized spray bottle to limit water usage and infiltration.

The aluminum trim on the rocker cover is NLA to the best of my knowledge. May want to remove that strip and send them to a metal polishing company and have them straightened and either re anodized or ceramic coated.

Regarding ceramic coating, there are several companies that have ceramic coat products. I have had 2 of my cars ceramic coated with Opti-Coat, my 2007 X3 & the 1988 M5. The coating is a cross link polymer chain that seals the paint and acts as a thin clear coat. In Maine the price tiers are $800, $1000 $1200 for the different levels of protection. I went with the $1200 on the X3 which came with all the Opti-coat products to maintain the finish and keep it clean and slippery. So far this winter I have been using a pressurized spray bottle to rinse off the salt every few days. Then the wash solution to wipe away surfactants then the Hyper Seal to keep it slippery.

Ceramic coatings will help protect the paint from dust & dirt yet it will not protect from rock chips or other debris damage.

Regarding Lokari fender liners, they are helpful to keep out debris, recommend removing them in the spring to clean out any salt or sand that finds its way around the rubber trim on the liner.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Floors a lot more shot than originally thought.

Looks like they're doing it all right!

Black paint...what a PITA.

Does that ceramic coat stuff really protect the paint?

I ceramic coated my M3 and the Corrado, makes a big difference imo, and cleaning the car is a breeze!

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just went through the ceramic coating decision. My detail guy really emphasizes it isn't permanent-I guess he's had some misunderstandings. It lasts 1-3 years depending on the source. He says it depends on the system, maintenance, and the state of the paint. He thinks 1 year for daily drivers and 2-3 years or maybe longer for cars infrequently driven, garaged, and well-maintained. If you coat paint with sub-surface contaminants or needing correction, it may fail much quicker regardless of maintenance. Although it is the most profitable part of his business, he thinks it is better suited to new or newly-painted cars, and even well-maintained cars should have proper prep to remove old wax, sealants, and sub-surface pollution. I trust him, but your folks may think differently.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry it’s been so long since an update. @sfdon is coming next week to install the engine I understand
Sorry for those of you who don’t like videos but here you go.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry it’s been so long since an update. @sfdon is coming next week to install the engine I understand
Sorry for those of you who don’t like videos but here you go.

Scott - tell them they can get new chrome fender + hood grilles from W+N = https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/karosserieanbauteile/bmw-2-5-cs-3-0-csl-e9/katalogbild-51-04.html

good luck on the rocker trims - NLA

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing world here in Idaho. Two people sharing an old estate in the snowy mountains. Think the “shining” without Jack. Refrigerator is stocked and the husband/wife chefs are cooking. Another case of wine delivered today. Benny and the boyz are coming for the steak feast Saturday.
And the work continues- thank you Mr. Nelson

Only 5 corona cases in the state.

Attachments

• 2ED33E43-61B1-4DEC-9EFA-1AFE6EF1D105.jpeg
    2ED33E43-61B1-4DEC-9EFA-1AFE6EF1D105.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 4FB48F7A-797F-4E31-8B52-01B75C69A3DB.jpeg
    4FB48F7A-797F-4E31-8B52-01B75C69A3DB.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 217

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm guessing that Ketchum Idaho right now might be a safer place to be hanging out than in San Francisco. Keep up the good work and stay safe and healthy.

Gary

It's a very small town, so yes, I think so but it's a destination resort town where everyone from elsewhere comes to visit. We have 4 confirmed cases here in our county, with a total of 9 in the state of Idaho.