csl no. 374

stcos85

Reaction score
thought it was about time i posted up my project. i think i must be mad to take it on but its the only way i can ever afford another one having sold chassis no.236 early 2000's.
the car i believe has been sitting since the late 80's but i may be wrong and is just a bare shell having been stripped after being involved in a serious accident.
car has now been straightened professionally by some old school engineers and is now in the process of being pulled apart and repaired

Last edited:

stcos85

Reaction score
bought this today as a donor. its got a bit of rust in some unusual places and a bit far gone to be repaired. i will be selling any bits that wont fit the e9 so if you need anything let me know. unfortunately i dont have my original engine so this will be used. considering building an alpina spec motor and run triples

stcos85

Reaction score
i should have said if anyone has any internal or external trim parts, glass door handles let me know

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I still can't believe you managed to find this lurking out the back of a body shop. Makes you wonder what else is out there.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Indeed, you must be mad to take that on.... :D…. the CSL hype with 5000 $ Petri's..... :eek:

stcos85

Reaction score
my panel beater has been making so good progress. after the car being straightened to factory measurements car is now welded on a jig to keep it aligned. A pillar replaced first with new sills fitted. all the exterior panels appear to be original so they are going to he repaired where required rather than being replaced

Last edited:

stcos85

Reaction score
I still can't believe you managed to find this lurking out the back of a body shop. Makes you wonder what else is out there.
i am not looking for anything else my garage is full of unfinished projects

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
That's a big project you got there :D
It doesn't look so rusty? (relatively). Finding a complete but rusty e9 parts car would probably be the cheapest way of getting all the parts you need for it?
Still very expensive..
Keep it up!

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
with all respect, i would like to relative that a bit..... 100k car ? not with a old rusty donor car for the parts needed i suppose ?
And.. most important for a "CSL" …. at least alu trunk,hood and doors needed .. no ? on a light weight body... but how much is this still oem after new , standard weight , parts being welded in ?? Yes, the VIN # stays …. but … ??? sorry if i sound negative but i have my doubts….

IMHO, a "real" CSL to CSL resto will cost a lot of $$$$ ….and be worth the "value".... so sure not whatever you do with a VIN # as the "proof"....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
You can turn any CS restoration into a $100k car if you do it right. It seems very feasible that this car could meet that figure if done in a way that satisfies buyers. If that isn’t the goal then no worries.

with all respect, i would like to relative that a bit..... 100k car ? not with a old rusty donor car for the parts needed i suppose ?
And.. most important for a "CSL" …. at least alu trunk,hood and doors needed .. no ? on a light weight body... but how much is this still oem after new , standard weight , parts being welded in ?? Yes, the VIN # stays …. but … ??? sorry if i sound negative but i have my doubts….

IMHO, a "real" CSL to CSL resto will cost a lot of $$$$ ….and be worth the "value".... so sure not whatever you do with a VIN # as the "proof"....

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos , CSL or CS as you mention ????

You can turn any CS into a $100K car (in the US) if you restore it properly and/or add desireable features. Based on this, I beleive that it is safe to assume that a well restored non-numbers-matching CSL can fetch $100K USD in Australia. Aluminum parts are available used and some new. The CSL market is limited. The only place where CSL’s can be found cheap *was the UK, but that seems to have changed in as little as the last three years IMO.

$106K 3.0 CS
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-3-0csi-5/

$125K 3.0 CS
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-3-0cs-11/

$135K 3.0 CS
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-3-0cs-2/

stcos85

Reaction score
i have the doors, have sourced a bootlid and i have seen that bonnets are available at a price.
as much of the original panels will remain. it still has its original front and rear guards and apart from a few small patches these will go back on. the engine i am told is long gone but it was with the car when it came to Australia.
i am told you can still source the scheel seats so apart from the engine it will be as complete as it can be

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You can turn any CS into a $100K car (in the US) if you restore it properly and/or add desireable features. Based on this, I beleive that it is safe to assume that a well restored non-numbers-matching CSL can fetch $100K USD in Australia. Aluminum parts are available used and some new. The CSL market is limited. The only place where CSL’s can be found cheap *was the UK, but that seems to have changed in as little as the last three years IMO.

$106K 3.0 CS
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-3-0csi-5/

$125K 3.0 CS
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-3-0cs-11/

$135K 3.0 CS
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-bmw-3-0cs-2/

CSL's already bring north of 100k here in Australia. Suspect the market is 250-300k mark for a good one.

stcos85

Reaction score
CSL's already bring north of 100k here in Australia. Suspect the market is 250-300k mark for a good one.

from what i have seen on carsales they are asking high 300's for a matching numbers car. whether they sell for that is another thing.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Depends. That Verona one has been around a while. I reckon 300k is a good benchmark. The UK is also a good comparison given nearly all our CSL's are ex City Pack.