Carbon Fibre Boot/Trunk group buy?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently had a carbon fibre bonnet commissioned (amongst other parts) for my mk1 Golf, complete with factory mounting points, latch and internal webbing all as per original. I was very impressed at the shut lines and fitment, close to factory.

Manufacturer said that they are willing to do a special order of E9 bootlids. However a minimum order of 5 would be required. Pricing would be TBC but i'd guess around the £800-£1000 mark. I'll grab some photos of my bonnet. Anyone on here that would be interested? Obviously they could be overpainted, but with the added benefit of being much, much lighter.

Rek

Reaction score
Very interested. I would like to see the quality of their work, but at that pricing point count me in.

If they do well on this, perhaps bonnets/hoods might be next? I mulled this over a while back.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Very interested. I would like to see the quality of their work, but at that pricing point count me in.

If they do well on this, perhaps bonnets/hoods might be next? I mulled this over a while back.

I'll stick some photos up tonight. If you want come over and have a look at my golf. Carbon bumpers, scuttle panel and bonnet all made by the same company. Only 20 mins or so from you in N13.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
IMG_20190414_200050.jpg
IMG_20190414_181401.jpg
IMG_20190414_161804.jpg
received_380676275852303.jpeg

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently had a carbon fibre bonnet commissioned (amongst other parts) for my mk1 Golf, complete with factory mounting points, latch and internal webbing all as per original. I was very impressed at the shut lines and fitment, close to factory.

Manufacturer said that they are willing to do a special order of E9 bootlids. However a minimum order of 5 would be required. Pricing would be TBC but i'd guess around the £800-£1000 mark. I'll grab some photos of my bonnet. Anyone on here that would be interested? Obviously they could be overpainted, but with the added benefit of being much, much lighter.
The Hood looks really nice !
How much lighter that is compared to the metal factory type? That information could give us proportionally how much weight it would be for E9 hook !

Wladek

Reaction score
E9 steel hood is at least 30kg, i would say closer to 35kg, trunk is around 20kg. So weight savings might be pretty impressive.

What pattern they will use?

daddywad

Reaction score
CSL ally repro hoods/bonnets are 8.6kgs all up. I have them at £5k Sterling each

carbon fibre/kevlar E9 hoods are already available in UK.

Mark

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I was tempted to join the trunk lid replacement, but now the skeptic in me says that making the rear even lighter is the opposite of what I need...Am I wrong?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you mean kg and not lbs? Even in carbon, 10-12lbs for a complete hood seems incredibly light.

Pre preg carbon so resin content is kept optimal, and a relatively small hood compared to an e9.

Didn't get the chance to weigh it for an exact figure but able to pick it up with 2 fingers with minimal effort. Could always pull it off the car and weigh it if interested.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
CSL ally repro hoods/bonnets are 8.6kgs all up. I have them at £5k Sterling each

carbon fibre/kevlar E9 hoods are already available in UK.

Mark

Can't remember if we discussed this last time I saw you or I'm getting mixed up with another member. Interested in the reasoning for the use of kevlar instead of full carbon.