Naturally aspirated vs turbo engine longevity...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this lately as I watch late model turbo engine sell. In the used auto parts business it used to be that when you bought a late model vehicle you could count on most of the body/collision parts selling, along with suspension pieces, etc., but the mechanical parts would sit, sometimes for years until the demand increased. With so many smaller turbocharged engines on the market (do a search for how many manufacturers use 2.0L turbo engines now!) we're seeing a lot more mechanical parts selling sooner, so this started me thinking about the cars themselves as they get older.

In the future, I wouldn't be surprised to see more older inline six NA engines still on the road than later model turbos. They just can't last as long and they're expensive to keep running. I just drove my daughters 08 E90 wagon with 154k on the clock on a 300 miles day trip and it just cruised all day as smooth as can be.

My guess is that the average mileage for longevity will drop substantially with the latest group of turbo cars.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
a bit normal Dang , due the HP/liter …. our B35 delivers 210 HP... my son's 135i ( also 3.5l ) is around 400.... :eek::D

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
A modern turbo engine could last for a very long time, if they were built for it.
The focus is on cost, emission, size and weight :(

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That blue car in my handle picture is my 745i turbo.
Never sold in usa and only sold with automatic.
Mine has a 5 speed and 22 psi of boost.
Those early turbo cars had a lot of problems with engine management.
Without stability control (not invented yet) they were big trouble in the winter weather and rain.
Turbo lag was crazy- 100hp went to 425hp in a matter of seconds.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
as the Porsche 930.... or even the 2002 turbo.
Therefore i prefer a supercharger on a "old" engine …. nice linear torque .