SURVEY (unofficial) - Thoughts on the best vintage DAILY driver; must withstand LA/OC/SD Traffic

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just curious what some of your thoughts are? Doesn't have to be BMW. And when I say vintage, that is pretty loose. Say 1995-ish and older. Trucks welcome too, please be realistic in your choices.

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The best daily driver I've ever had was a 1991 535. Bought it for $1900 in 2005 with 150,000 miles from Craig's List in SF, with a transmission that kicked out of 1st gear and a differential that howled. Drove it down to OC, barely made it before the diff crapped out. Replaced the trans with a Getrag 265 and found a 3.62 LS at Harout's in Sun Valley, all the work done on jackstands in my one car garage in Laguna Beach. Sold my E39 2001 535 in favor of it. It was my main daily driver for several years in LA and OC. Climbed the Toll Road hills like a MF'er. Eventually acquired some other vehicles my ex wife liked better, and it was sidelined. Gave it to my sister and her husband when I had to sell the house in the divorce and they drove it for a couple more years. Just a couple weeks ago I went to resurrect it with my bro in law so he can drive it again. Best damn car I've ever had; told him if he didn't want to use it I will take it back.

Just last weekend I bought a 2003 E39 5 Series Touring, since my main passengers are now 100lb German Shepherd and his little brother, a 50lb Malinois. We have cristened it "Der HundSchleppenWagen." Daily driver in LA. IMG_1404.jpegIMG_1407.jpeg

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If it needs to be used in LA traffic I might want an airbag. Pre-airbag I'd go with an E28 535is manual. Post-airbag I'd go with a '91 E30is manual.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
The best daily driver I've ever had was a 1991 535. Bought it for $1900 in 2005 with 150,000 miles from Craig's List in SF, with a transmission that kicked out of 1st gear and a differential that howled. Drove it down to OC, barely made it before the diff crapped out. Replaced the trans with a Getrag 265 and found a 3.62 LS at Harout's in Sun Valley, all the work done on jackstands in my one car garage in Laguna Beach. Sold my E39 2001 535 in favor of it. It was my main daily driver for several years in LA and OC. Climbed the Toll Road hills like a MF'er. Eventually acquired some other vehicles my ex wife liked better, and it was sidelined. Gave it to my sister and her husband when I had to sell the house in the divorce and they drove it for a couple more years. Just a couple weeks ago I went to resurrect it with my bro in law so he can drive it again. Best damn car I've ever had; told him if he didn't want to use it I will take it back.

Just last weekend I bought a 2003 E39 5 Series Touring, since my main passengers are now 100lb German Shepherd and his little brother, a 50lb Malinois. We have cristened it "Der HundSchleppenWagen." Daily driver in LA.View attachment 68040View attachment 68041
E39 Touring as DD including big dogs, hell yeah! Have had my '99 version for 7 years now, OEM parts easy to come by,
SAM_3592.JPG

car is easy to work on, dogs can jump in easily-great car!

SAM_3593.JPG

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Define "vintage".
Perhaps give us a Model Year cutoff.

For example, if you follow the DOT rule for importing classic cars, anything older than 25years is a classic. In that case, we're talking 1994, which makes cars like the E34 M5, Nissan/Supra twin-turbo, Lancia Delta Integrale Evo, etc all contenders.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
In that world of traffic and bumper car strategies, I wouldn't want something that I "loved". And I wouldn't probably want a clutch. My go-to for DD, great seat comfort, regular gas, safety, dog-friendly, and lower angst, would be a Volvo wagon. If it weren't such a lousy air con unit, I'd say a 92 240DL wagon...had a couple. Most, tho, I loved my 95 850 turbo wagon, but listened to the wrong mechanic that said "no OBD II...you should get out now" So...Bought a 2011 Cross Country for the "drive it like a rental/its a reliable work vehicle/Swedish pick up truck" aspect...its boring, mushy, but attractive, adequate and very comfortable. Like a really good Ford Taurus wagon. And all wheel drive. (A friend who raised beef cattle said "dont give them names", or you have an emotional attachment.) You'll find yourself doing things like putting it in the garage, worrying about where you park it, washing it, worrying when a french fry drops between the seat and console, and other such nonsense that should be reserved for a car you love.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I don't have any pics with my dog and the car, but I too loved my e39 wagon:

20150309_092418.jpg

For a pre-94 car as a daily driver, I would search for e23s, e28s, six cylinder e32s and/or six cylinder e34s, and buy the best of those with working air conditioning I could find.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had an E3 when I lived in LA. It was cheap, $1500. The A/C was weak but adequate and the car was dead nuts reliable until a drunk teen rear-ended it in the middle of the afternoon in Santa Monica. But for m. DD needs to be very reliable, economical, and an hold an m30 engine as cargo. I’d get an early Honda Odyssey

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had an E3 when I lived in LA. It was cheap, $1500. The A/C was weak but adequate and the car was dead nuts reliable until a drunk teen rear-ended it in the middle of the afternoon in Santa Monica. But for m. DD needs to be very reliable, economical, and an hold an engine. I’d get an early Honda Odyssey
Any Subaru Forrester pre-2005. Just broken in at 200k. Ask me how I know. Original everything. Dull and boring, so play music, learn a language, listen to Rush or NPR.

jabloomf1230

Reaction score
Any 4th gen 4WD Toyota 4Runner V8 (roughly mid 2000s in vintage). The engines are bulletproof and they can haul anything and go anywhere, even with a stock suspension setup. Their main drawback is frame rust. Yes, they do have a frame. There is a cottage industry for upgraded suspension parts and other off-road add-ons if you're into that aspect.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Just last weekend I bought a 2003 E39 5 Series Touring, since my main passengers are now 100lb German Shepherd and his little brother, a 50lb Malinois. We have cristened it "Der HundSchleppenWagen." Daily driver in LA.View attachment 68040View attachment 68041
I like that. You should go to Corona Del Mar (Newport Coast) C&C on Sat mornings. Right by Javiers. A few of us on here go there regularly.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that the best daily mentioned so far that is pre 1995 is the 535I or IS with a 5 speed. I'm going to suggest a 1992 CRX or Prelude SI. Honda made the best cars in the world in 1992 if one is measuring reliability , longevity and fun to drive.

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
1987-1991 ('88 is sweet spot, IMO) Porsche 928 w/ Automatic.

What?! An automatic?! If this is not your only classic, you will get plenty of shifting action on your other cars and as a DD, you can't beat it.
The S4 variant with the updated styling of the front and rear still looks thoroughly modern and relevant. I love the design, inside and out. A rocketship. Manly spoiler... Always wanted one.
The support via online forums is on par with this group, or even better in some areas. *Every* mystery on that car has been elucidated by the Rennlist 928 community.
Great parts support from Porsche and the aftermarket and very rewarding to wrench on as you fix it once and it's done for a while.
AC that works well; plus you can run it through a car wash without much compunction.
And a very nice car with under 80K miles can be had for ~20K in a wide variety of colors and interiors. Every month tehre are a few on BaT.

Not my car but mine is just like it:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Best is subjective.

Best in what? Comfort? Amentities? Gas Mileage? Performance? Looks? Reliability? Coolness factor?

This is a wide open question. Can be anything from an SUV to a four-door sedan, to a sports car, to a convertible or coupe.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Luis A. i had one of these and for sure one of the best GT’s of its time. Specially on the German autobahns in the early 90’s. Had the needle at 290 flat out, miles on end and years of fun......What a blast!

Keshav