What's the best way to attach the brass overflow tank bracket?

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Like many, my overflow tank bracket was broken when I got it. So I had it welded back by a shop a while ago. When I my new motor was installed in my car, it broke off again. Carl Nelson told me that they all break off over time because the different metals of the tank and the bracket expand at a different rate and the weld weakens a bit each time.

Has anyone found a reliable way to weld or somehow connect those two together? I am wondering if it would be better to weld a small 90degree angle piece of similar brass to the bottom of the tank and then bolt the metal bracket on to that. Some of the heat would already dissipate through that angled piece and the bolts could lessen the remaining expansion issue.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I haven't asked, but have the same issue with the new one from Markos...my tank appears to have had a bondo/epoxy/JBWeld type material that is still on the tank (bracket was AWOL when I got it...My not-yet-hatched plan was to paint new bracket per Markos' suggestion, except POR 15 that part of the surface of the bracket that would then be re-epoxied to the old tank surface...? That make any sense?
Attached photo looks to be factory....?

Attachments

• IMG_1252.JPG
    IMG_1252.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
keep it simple good way to go
surely it will hold forever once your to metal
pull the jb its good but not permanent like por

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
In my experience, the really good rad shops have a chiseled old guy, with at least 40+ years experience, cigarette smoker, and has seen it all. Can usually find him out back on his break, and if he feels like it, he will listen to you and let you describe what you need. He will interrupt you and just say something like : "Leave it with me, come back tomorrow". The next day, it is if some magician has transformed whatever damage there was, into something that looks like a factory correct reproduction of whatever you brought in. Of course, said magician is not working that day, and you have no chance to thank him....but the legend carries on. ;)